How to solve highly oscillating differential equation

In summary: Something that will give a good approximation: evaluate one oscillation each numerically with b=0 and a few different starting amplitudes.
karlzr
The equation looks like: ##x''(t)+b x'(t)+cx(t)+ d x^3(t)=0##. This is the motion of a particle in a potential ##cx^2/2+d x^4/4## with friction force ## b x'##. In my case, the friction term is very small and the particle will oscillate billions of times before the magnitude decreases significantly. So how do we solve this kind of equations to a very late final moment when the magnitude almost dies out?
Mathematica or Matlab doesn't work because of the stiffness problem, i.e. the particle oscillates so fast that we need to set the step size extremely small in order to have reliable numerical result. Another difficulty is the potential energy is not symmetric around the minimum. Thus I guess we cannot use the approximate form for the solution :##y(x)=A(t) cos (\omega(t)t)##.
Thanks a lot for any kind of suggestion!

Physics news on Phys.org
karlzr said:
Another difficulty is the potential energy is not symmetric around the minimum.
Your potential looks very symmetric.
If the x4 term is relevant, then the simple cosine won't work any more.

The small b makes it possible to separate the undamped motion and the damping (will decrease the amplitude over time).
Something like A(t+T) as function of A(t) should be possible to find, where A(t+T) means the amplitude one oscillation after A(t).

Do you have to get the phase right after so many oscillations, or just the amplitude and shape of oscillation?

mfb said:
Your potential looks very symmetric.
If the x4 term is relevant, then the simple cosine won't work any more.

The small b makes it possible to separate the undamped motion and the damping (will decrease the amplitude over time).
Something like A(t+T) as function of A(t) should be possible to find, where A(t+T) means the amplitude one oscillation after A(t).

Do you have to get the phase right after so many oscillations, or just the amplitude and shape of oscillation?
Phase is not important in my case. So how do we find ##A(t+T)## given ##A(t)##?
Actually ##c<0##, ##d>0##

Last edited:
What values for d and c do you want to investigate? I just quickly wrote some code which may work and I like to check it before I show you( if you want to see it that is).

The second order ODE is a particular case of Duffing differential equation :
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DuffingDifferentialEquation.html
It can be reduced to a first order ODE of the Abel's kind (see attachement)
Except for particular values of the parameters, it is not analytically solvable :
http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0124.pdf
Nevertheless, the numerical methods of solving might be simpler for the first order Abel's ODE than for the second order Duffing's ODE.

Sorry I don't succed to joint the attachment.
I do not have enough time to rewrite it in Latex. Roughly, the method is based on the change of function : dx/dt = -b y(x)

Strum said:
What values for d and c do you want to investigate? I just quickly wrote some code which may work and I like to check it before I show you( if you want to see it that is).

We can assume ##c=-4000##, ##d=0.03##, ##b=10^{-13}##. The initial condition can be ##x(0)=10##, ##x'(0)=0##. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
JJacquelin said:
Roughly, the method is based on the change of function : dx/dt = -b y(x)
Do you mean we solve the first order equation with x as the independent variable? Then it can only being solved in only half oscillation, right? since x does not change monotonically.

karlzr said:
Phase is not important in my case. So how do we find ##A(t+T)## given ##A(t)##?
Actually ##c<0##, ##d>0##
Something that will give a good approximation: evaluate one oscillation each numerically with b=0 and a few different starting amplitudes. For each starting amplitude also calculate the total energy (which is just the potential at start).

b acts as friction - determine the total energy that gets lost in one oscillation if x(t) follows the previous calculation but with a non-zero b (should be the integral over ##bx'^2##).

Determine energy loss as function of energy (alternatively: amplitude change as function of amplitude). This is now independent of the individual oscillations, you can set up a differential equation and solve this.

karlzr said:
We can assume ##c=-4000##, ##d=0.03##, ##b=10^{-13}##. The initial condition can be ##x(0)=10##, ##x'(0)=0##. Thank you so much!

I think you should choose some other parameters :).

Maybe he likes working with large x values? The x4 term makes the state bound.
It does make the choice of x(0)=10 a bit unusual, right. Could be a typo.

Strum said:
I think you should choose some other parameters :).
What is wrong with the numbers? ##x=0## is unstable in this case and the oscillation will be around a minimum ##x \approx 170##. We can start from any ##x(0)##between 0 and 250. Here is the plot of the potential energy given the parameters:
potential.jpg

Well in principle you can start from anything really. But choosing your important parameters with16 orders of magnitude difference can be complicated for the numerics.

Well the small b was the whole point of the thread I think. It allows (and makes it necessary) to treat it as small perturbation.

Haha I completely missed that!

mfb said:
Well the small b was the whole point of the thread I think. It allows (and makes it necessary) to treat it as small perturbation.
Oh sorry, I didn't make the most important point clear.
The physical time is ##\tau=10^{-24}t ## rather than ##t##, so the equation should be ##x''(\tau)+bx'(\tau)+cx(\tau)+d x^3(\tau)=0##. There is the fast oscillating problem only in the physical time ##\tau##. With the parameters given before, the period of oscillation is about ##10^{-24} s## , which is far less than the scale ##10^{-10} s## I am interested in. I need to find the magnitude of oscillation at ## \tau_f=10^{-10}## given initial conditions at ##\tau_0=0##. So it is not likely to be solved numerically with finite number of steps.
I am so sorry for this inconvenience!

Last edited:
mfb said:
Determine energy loss as function of energy (alternatively: amplitude change as function of amplitude). This is now independent of the individual oscillations, you can set up a differential equation and solve this.
I don't understand the last part. So I can get the energy loss a couple of times numerically given different input energy. How do I generalize those data into a differential equation?

I would expect some reasonable relation between energy and energy loss per oscillation - probably close to a quadratic function for small amplitudes. Certainly something you can approximate well with multiple data points.

EW symmetry breaking at the big bang?

Related to How to solve highly oscillating differential equation

1. How do I determine the order of a highly oscillating differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a second-order differential equation will have a second derivative in its equation.

2. What is the best approach for solving a highly oscillating differential equation?

The best approach for solving a highly oscillating differential equation is to use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods approximate the solution by breaking the equation into smaller steps and using iterative calculations.

3. How do initial conditions affect the solution of a highly oscillating differential equation?

Initial conditions are necessary for solving any differential equation. For highly oscillating equations, initial conditions can have a significant impact on the solution. A small change in the initial conditions can lead to a completely different solution.

4. Can I use analytical methods to solve a highly oscillating differential equation?

It is challenging to solve highly oscillating differential equations analytically. In most cases, numerical methods are more effective for finding solutions. However, for specific types of highly oscillating equations, analytical solutions may be possible.

5. How do I know if my solution to a highly oscillating differential equation is accurate?

The accuracy of a solution to a highly oscillating differential equation can be checked by comparing it to a known solution or by using convergence tests. These tests compare the results obtained from using smaller steps and iterations to the original solution. A smaller difference indicates a more accurate solution.