How to Solve for x(t)/x0 in a Damped Oscillator with Initial Values?

In summary, the equation for a damped oscillator is given by d2x/dt2+2βdx/dt +ω02 x = 0. The solution to this equation is given by x(t)=e-\betat(A1et\mu+A2e-t\mu) where \mu=\sqrt{\beta2-\omegao2}. When applying the initial conditions, the coefficients A1 and A2 will be complex values. However, by using Euler's formula, the solution can be expressed in terms of sines and cosines, resulting in a real value for x(t).
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

The equation for a damped oscillator is d2x/dt2+2βdx/dt +ω02 x = 0. Let ω0=1.0 s−1 and β = 0.54 s−1. The initial values are x(0) = x0 and v(0)=0.
Determine x(t)/x0 at t = 2π/ω0.

Homework Equations

the solution to equation is given by;

x(t)=e-[itex]\betat[/itex](A1et[itex]\mu[/itex]+A2e-t[itex]\mu[/itex])

where [itex]\mu[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\beta2-\omegao2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A1=1/2(xo+(xo[itex]\beta[/itex])/[itex]\mu[/itex])
A2=1/2(xo-(xo[itex]\beta[/itex])/[itex]\mu[/itex])

The problem I am running into is that the parameter I defined as [itex]\mu[/itex] is imaginary for this case, which keeps throwing me off. My only guess is to ignore the term multiplied by A1 because it is not real, then use only the A2 term and its multiplier because of the -t in its exponent making -i =1. I do not know if this correct and also even the constants A1 and A2 have an i in them as wel.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that μ is imaginary tells you you have an underdamped system.

Apply the initial conditions to solve for A1 and A2. The coefficients will be complex values. Then use Euler's formula, [itex]e^{i\theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/itex], to express the solution in terms of sines and cosines. You'll find everything works out so the i's cancel and x(t) is real.

Related to How to Solve for x(t)/x0 in a Damped Oscillator with Initial Values?

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic oscillations, where the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of damping forces.

2. How does damping affect a harmonic oscillator?

Damping affects a harmonic oscillator by decreasing its amplitude and changing its frequency. This is because damping forces, such as friction or air resistance, dissipate energy from the system, causing the oscillations to gradually decrease in magnitude.

3. What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is given by m∈ + γv + kx = 0, where m is the mass of the oscillator, γ is the damping coefficient, v is the velocity, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped oscillators?

An underdamped oscillator is one where the damping is not strong enough to prevent oscillations, resulting in a gradually decreasing amplitude. A critically damped oscillator experiences the fastest possible decay without causing oscillations. An overdamped oscillator is one where the damping is strong enough to prevent oscillations altogether.

5. How is a damped harmonic oscillator used in real-world applications?

Damped harmonic oscillators are commonly used in engineering and physics to model systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior, such as pendulums, springs, and electric circuits. They are also used in shock absorbers, musical instruments, and seismometers.