How to solve a simple elastic collision problem?

In summary: So, you can solve it without the quadratic formula.From the given information, you can set up the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations. After substituting the expressions for the final velocity of the first particle into the energy equation, you should get an equation that you can solve for the speed of the first particle after the collision.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"A particle with mass ##m_1=1kg## traveling at ##v_{1_{0}}\frac{m}{s}## collides with a stationary particle with mass ##m_2=2kg##. How small is the speed of ##m_1## after the collision compared to before?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##m_1v_{1_{0}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}+m_2v_{2_{f}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}+2m_1v_{2_{f}}=m_1(v_{1_{f}}+2v_{2_{f}})##
##v_{1_{0}}=v_{1_{f}}+2v_{2_{f}}##

Then this is where I kind of guess at things: basically, I equate the momentum of the first particle post-collision with the momentum of the second particle post-collision.

##m_1v_{1_{f}}-m_2v_{2_{f}}=0##

So now I have two equations:

##v_{1_{f}}-2v_{2_{f}}=0##
##v_{1_{f}}+2v_{2_{f}}=v_{1_{0}}##

Solving for the two variables gives me: ##v_{1_{f}}=\frac{1}{2}v_{1_{0}}## and ##v_{2_{f}}=v_{1_{0}}##. I know this is wrong because suddenly the two particles have more momentum after the collision than what they started out with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"A particle with mass ##m_1=1kg## traveling at ##v_{1_{0}}\frac{m}{s}## collides with a stationary particle with mass ##m_2=2kg##. How small is the speed of ##m_1## after the collision compared to before?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##m_1v_{1_{0}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}+m_2v_{2_{f}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}+2m_1v_{2_{f}}=m_1(v_{1_{f}}+2v_{2_{f}})##
##v_{1_{0}}=v_{1_{f}}+2v_{2_{f}}##

Then this is where I kind of guess at things: basically, I equate the momentum of the first particle post-collision with the momentum of the second particle post-collision.

Do not guess. The collision is elastic, what does it mean for the kinetic energies of the particles?

It's conserved, meaning that: ##\frac{1}{2}m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##, or more simply put: ##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's conserved, meaning that: ##\frac{1}{2}m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##, or more simply put: ##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##.
Now you have two equation for the final velocities to solve.

Okay, so I have:

##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##
##m_1v_{1_{0}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}+m_2v_{2_{f}}##

Multiplying the second equation by ##v_{2_{f}}## yields: ##m_1v_{1_{0}}v_{2_{f}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}v_{2_{f}}+m_2v_{2_{f}}^2##. Subtracting it from the first equation then gives me:

##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2-m_1v_{1_{0}}v_{2_{f}}=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2-m_1v_{1_{f}}v_{2_{f}}##
##v_{1_{0}}^2-v_{1_{0}}v_{2_{f}}=v_{1_{f}}^2-v_{1_{f}}v_{2_{f}}##
##v_{1_{0}}^2-(v_{1_{0}}+v_{1_{f}})v_{2_{f}}-v_{1_{f}}^2=0##

Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed from there.

Starting from your two equations, try to eliminate one of the two unknowns (here, which variable is not asked for in the question?) so that you can solve the resulting equation for the other unknown.

Dirickby said:
try to eliminate one of the two unknowns (here, which variable is not asked for in the question?) so that you can solve the resulting equation for the other unknown.

So I'm guessing I express the other unknown as ##v_{2_{f}}=\frac{m_1}{m_2}(v_{1_{0}}-v_{1_{f}})##? So...

##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2(\frac{m_1}{m_2}(v_{1_{0}}-v_{1_{f}}))^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2(\frac{m_1^2}{m_2^2})(v_{1_{0}}^2-2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}+v_{1_{f}}^2))##
##v_{1_{0}}^2=v_{1_{f}}^2+(\frac{m_1}{m_2})(v_{1_{0}}^2-2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}+v_{1_{f}}^2))##
##v_{1_{0}}^2(1-\frac{m_1}{m_2})-v_{1_{f}}^2(1+\frac{m_1}{m_2})+(\frac{m_1}{m_2})2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}=0##

To be honest, I didn't feel like going through the quadratic equation to derive the momentum equation I was reluctant to use because I didn't understand it. But in the end, I just looked up the derivation and called it a day: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/APPhyNet/Dynamics/Collisions/elastic_deriv.htm

##v_{1_{f}}=\frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2}v_{1_{0}}=\frac{1kg-2kg}{3kg}v_{1_{0}}=-\frac{1}{3}v_{1_{0}}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
So I'm guessing I express the other unknown as ##v_{2_{f}}=\frac{m_1}{m_2}(v_{1_{0}}-v_{1_{f}})##? So...

##m_1v_{1_{0}}^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2(\frac{m_1}{m_2}(v_{1_{0}}-v_{1_{f}}))^2=m_1v_{1_{f}}^2+m_2(\frac{m_1^2}{m_2^2})(v_{1_{0}}^2-2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}+v_{1_{f}}^2))##
##v_{1_{0}}^2=v_{1_{f}}^2+(\frac{m_1}{m_2})(v_{1_{0}}^2-2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}+v_{1_{f}}^2))##
##v_{1_{0}}^2(1-\frac{m_1}{m_2})-v_{1_{f}}^2(1+\frac{m_1}{m_2})+(\frac{m_1}{m_2})2v_{1_{f}}v_{1_{0}}=0##

To be honest, I didn't feel like going through the quadratic equation to derive the momentum equation I was reluctant to use because I didn't understand it. But in the end, I just looked up the derivation and called it a day: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/APPhyNet/Dynamics/Collisions/elastic_deriv.htm

##v_{1_{f}}=\frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2}v_{1_{0}}=\frac{1kg-2kg}{3kg}v_{1_{0}}=-\frac{1}{3}v_{1_{0}}##

Yes, the solution is right and you could indeed get it from solving the quadratic equation for ##v_{1_f}##. Another (quicker) way would be to take your second line equation
$$ m_1(v_{1_0}^2-v_{1_f}^2) = \frac{m_1^2}{m_2}(v_{1_0}-v_{1_f})^2$$
One solution is obviously ##v_{1_0}=v_{1_f}## but this would be the answer only if there had been no collision.
So we can divide by ##m_1(v_{1_0}-v_{1_f})## on both sides and quickly get the desired answer by using ##x^2-y^2 = (x-y)(x+y)##.

P.S. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, please let me know if I am. My idea was not to give the answer but to show a quicker derivation as the OP had already called it a day.

Likes TomHart
Eclair_de_XII said:

It is not one day but 1D, one dimension ...
If you substitute m1/m2=0.5, that quadratic equation is not that terrible.

Likes Dirickby

Related to How to solve a simple elastic collision problem?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do I solve a simple elastic collision problem?

To solve a simple elastic collision problem, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. You will also need to know the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision. Once you have these values, you can use the equations to calculate the final velocities of the objects.

3. What is the conservation of momentum equation?

The conservation of momentum equation states that the total momentum of a system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the objects multiplied by their velocities must remain the same before and after the collision.

4. What is the conservation of kinetic energy equation?

The conservation of kinetic energy equation states that the total kinetic energy of a system before a collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the objects must remain the same before and after the collision.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving elastic collision problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving elastic collision problems include not taking into account the direction of the velocities, not using the correct units for mass and velocity, and not using the correct equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. It is important to carefully consider all variables and equations when solving these types of problems.