How to Solve a Basic Particle Motion Problem?

In summary: It is the change in position divided by the change in time between the two values of t. So for (a), you want to find the position at t= 2 and subtract that from the position at t= 0. That is, you want to find f(2) and f(0), subtract them, and divide the difference by 2- 0= 2. That is the "average velocity" between t= 0 and t= 2. Similarly, for (b), you want to find the position at t= 4 and subtract that from the position at t= 0. But you also want to divide that by 4- 0= 4.
purplemarmose

Homework Statement

Moves at G(f)=t^2-4t+3
a. Find displacement at 2 sec
b. Find average velocity at 4 sec
c. Find instantaneous velocity at t=4
d. Find acceleration at t= 4

Homework Equations

Instantaneous rate of change
Displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

f'= 2t-4 (So this would be the velocity then?)
f''=2 (Acceleration?)

How do I go about finding it at specific values? Just plug it in?
For example...
Find average velocity at 4 sec:
2(4)-4= 4

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi purplemarmose! Welcome to PF :biggrin:

This is a physics problem, it would be more relevant to post it in the Introductory Physics section.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at it.

What you've done is correct. The first derivative does indeed give you the instantaneous velocity(instantaneous is important!) with respect to time. The second derivative gives the instantaneous acceleration. Of course, you have to plug in the time values for respective answers :-p

Infinitum said:
Hi purplemarmose! Welcome to PF :biggrin:

This is a physics problem, it would be more relevant to post it in the Introductory Physics section.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at it.

What you've done is correct. The first derivative does indeed give you the instantaneous velocity(instantaneous is important!) with respect to time. The second derivative gives the instantaneous acceleration. Of course, you have to plug in the time values for respective answers :-p

Thanks for your greeting! This problem was actually given to me by my calculus teacher! However, I do know it that it is relevant to physics. Thanks so much!

It might be helpful to at least copy the problem correctly. Surely it does not say G(f) and then give a formula in t. Then later, you talk about "f(t)". And "Find average velocity at 4 sec" makes no sense- an average velocity has to be over a given interval of time. I suspect you mean the average velocity between t= 0 and t= 4 although it might be between 2 and 4 since you were also asked for the displacement at t= 2. The derivative of a position function is a instantaneous velocity at the given value of t. And acceleration is the second derivative. It also should be evaluated at a given value of t, but here, the acceleration function is a constant.

Do you know the definition of "average velocity" between two values of t?

Related to How to Solve a Basic Particle Motion Problem?

1. What is a particle motion problem?

A particle motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves studying the motion of a single particle, such as an object or molecule, under the influence of various forces or conditions.

2. What are the key equations used in solving particle motion problems?

The key equations used in solving particle motion problems are Newton's laws of motion, kinematic equations, and the equations of motion for constant acceleration.

3. How do you approach solving a particle motion problem?

To solve a particle motion problem, you first need to identify the forces acting on the particle, then use the appropriate equations to calculate its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time.

4. What are some common examples of particle motion problems?

Some common examples of particle motion problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the position and speed of a car on a curved road, and analyzing the motion of a ball rolling down an incline.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle motion problems?

Particle motion problems have many real-world applications, such as predicting the path of a rocket or satellite in space, understanding the motion of molecules in chemical reactions, and analyzing the movement of fluids in pipes or channels.