How to sketch x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 ?

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, When sketching the graph of the equation for S, it is helpful to use a circle as a reference function and look for symmetries and qualitative anomalies, such as cusps. Converting to polar form and using implicit differentiation can also aid in locating points on the graph.
kingwinner
Let f(t)=( (cos t)^3, (sin t)^3 )
Let S = {f(t) | t E R}
Draw a sketch of S.

==========================
Now I know that S is x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1

What is the fastest way to draw a really rough sketch of this? (bascially I need the shape) I am very lost in situations like this. I was never taught how to do quick sketch on graphs like this one...(no graphing calculators allowed, of course)

Please help me! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some things to do:
  • The function in question looks kind of like the equation for a unit circle. Sketching a circle as reference function might help.
  • Look for symmetries. The function in question has some obvious and not-so-obvious symmetries. This let's you focus in on a part of the graph. The rest you can fill in by reflections.
  • Look at the derivative of y with respect to x, x with respect to y. For a qualitative sketch you are looking for qualitative anomalies, like cusps.
  • Convert to another form, such as polar. [tex]r^{2/3}(\cos^{2/3}\theta + \sin^{2/3}\theta) = 1[/itex]. Try to derive some qualitative relation regarding the angular term, [itex]\cos^{2/3}\theta + \sin^{2/3}\theta[/itex]. This in turn will tell you somthing qualitative about [itex]r[/itex].

But this is not a function, so do I have to implicitly differenatiate to find dy/dx?

Also, how can I locate the cusps?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was using the term function a bit too loosely. It is an equation which becomes a function upon restricting the sqaure root to the principal value: [itex]y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/itex]. Doing so cuts off half of the curve, but that is easily fixed by taking advantage of the symmetries.

IMO, implicit differentiation of [itex]x^{2/3}+y^{2/3}-1=0[/itex] is easier than explicit differentiation of [itex]y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/itex]

Related to How to sketch x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 ?

1. What is the equation x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 representing?

The equation x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 represents a curve in two-dimensional space, specifically a curve where the variable x is raised to the power of 2/3 and the variable y is multiplied by 2/3. This type of equation is known as a power function.

2. How do I sketch the graph of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1?

To sketch the graph of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1, you can use a graphing calculator or plot points by substituting different values for x and solving for y. Alternatively, you can rewrite the equation in terms of y and then graph it by hand.

3. What are the key features of the graph of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1?

The graph of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 is a curve that is symmetric about the origin, meaning that it is the same on the left and right sides. It also has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, meaning that the curve will approach but never touch the x-axis. Additionally, the curve will get steeper as it moves away from the origin.

4. How can I determine the domain and range of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1?

The domain of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 includes all real numbers for x. To find the range, you can rewrite the equation in terms of y and solve for y. You will find that the range is also all real numbers.

5. What are the applications of x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 in real life?

The equation x^(2/3) + y(2/3) = 1 can be used to model various phenomena in the physical sciences, such as the relationship between distance and time in certain types of motion. It can also be used in engineering and computer science to design and analyze curves and surfaces. Additionally, it has applications in economics and finance for modeling growth and change over time.