How to Show the Comparison Inequality for a Series

In summary: This time, you'd need to take two cases, one for even n and one for odd n, to justify the inequality.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

Use the comparison test to show that the series converges, and find the value it converge to by using partial fractions.

∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{2}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The series can be written as 2 * ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex]

Since 5n + 6 is neglectible:

2 * ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex]. This series will converge.

Therefore we can guess that 2* ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex] will converge.

Now I have to find a larger series which also converges.

[itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n}[/itex]

Now I'm supposed to rewrite [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n}[/itex] as something + something. This is where I'm stuck.

Are anyone familiar with this method, and can point me into the right direction?

Any feedback will as always be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did your comparison test properly. ##\frac{1}{n^2}## converges so you know your original series will converge.

To use partial fractions, write: ##n^2 + 5n + 6 = (n+2)(n+3)##.

Zondrina said:
You did your comparison test properly. ##\frac{1}{n^2}## converges so you know your original series will converge.

To use partial fractions, write: ##n^2 + 5n + 6 = (n+2)(n+3)##.

Alright, thank you.

So, I've rewritten the series as:

[itex]\frac{1}{n+2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex].

Adding the series then gives [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex]

Since the limit of [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

The sum which the series converge to is [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex].

It looks correct according to my notes at least.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Mutaja said:
Alright, thank you.

So, I've rewritten the series as:

[itex]\frac{1}{n+2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex].

Adding the series then gives [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex]

Since the limit of [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n+3}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

The sum which the series converge to is [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex].

It looks correct according to my notes at least.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

No not quite. We have:

##n^2 + 5n + 6 = (n+2)(n+3)##.

So that:

##\frac{2}{n^2 + 5n + 6} = \frac{A}{n+2} + \frac{B}{n+3}##

Where the relationship:

##2 = A(n+3) + B(n+2)## must hold.

If ##n = -3##, then ##B = -2##. If ##n = -2##, then ##A = 2##.

So really you have ##\frac{2}{n+2} - \frac{2}{n+3}##

You were missing a factor of ##2##.

Zondrina said:
You were missing a factor of ##2##.

Indeed, my bad. I didn't consider the fact that I had taken it outside of the actual series, and I forgot to multiply it back into get my final answer. I should be 2 * 1/3 = 2/3.

Now, it should be good :)

Mutaja said:

Homework Statement

Use the comparison test to show that the series converges, and find the value it converge to by using partial fractions.

∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{2}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex]
Just a little bit more LaTeX will make the summation look a lot nicer.
Code:
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{2}{n^2 + 5n + 6}$$
The above renders as
Mutaja said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The series can be written as 2 * ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex]

Since 5n + 6 is neglectible:

2 * ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex]. This series will converge.

Therefore we can guess that 2* ∑ n=1 -> ∞: [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex] will converge.

Now I have to find a larger series which also converges.

[itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n}[/itex]
It's more convincing to compare directly with ##\sum \frac{1}{n^2}##, a convergent p-series.
##\sum \frac{1}{n^2}## is a convergent series, so ##2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}## is, as well.
It's not hard to show that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##.
Mutaja said:
Now I'm supposed to rewrite [itex]\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n}[/itex] as something + something. This is where I'm stuck.

Are anyone familiar with this method, and can point me into the right direction?

Any feedback will as always be appreciated.

Thanks.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
Just a little bit more LaTeX will make the summation look a lot nicer.
Code:
The above renders as
It's more convincing to compare directly with ##\sum \frac{1}{n^2}##, a convergent p-series.
##\sum \frac{1}{n^2}## is a convergent series, so ##2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}## is, as well.
It's not hard to show that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##.

Thanks for the latex code.

Under normal circumstances, in Calculus 2 (not the actual course, but a equivalent course), would it be needed to actually show that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##? It like 2 < 4. I can't show it or prove it.

or do you mean that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}## is adequate?

[itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent, 2 * [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent, therefore ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6}## is convergent because ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##.

Mutaja said:
Thanks for the latex code.

Under normal circumstances, in Calculus 2 (not the actual course, but a equivalent course), would it be needed to actually show that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##? It like 2 < 4. I can't show it or prove it.

or do you mean that ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}## is adequate?

[itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent, 2 * [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent, therefore ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6}## is convergent because ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##.

It is adequate to write ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##. Although it is easy to show this relationship holds.

For ##n ≥ 1## it is true that ##n^2 + 5n + 6 > n^2##. Reciprocating the inequality, we obtain ##\frac{1}{n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac{1}{n^2}##.

Likes 1 person
Whether it's adequate to just write ##\frac 1 {n^2 + 5n + 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}## probably depends on your instructor, and Zondrina's reply shows that it's easy to demonstrate this inequality, working with the reciprocals.

If your instructor is confident in your ability to justify the inequality, he/she might not require that the work be shown. However, it doesn't hurt to get some practice doing these quick proofs, especially if the problem happened to be slightly more difficult, like this one:
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac 1 {n^2 - n - 6}$$

The series to compare to is again ##\sum \frac 1 {n^2}##, but this time it's a little harder to show that ##frac{1}{n^2 - n - 6} < \frac 1 {n^2}##.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to Show the Comparison Inequality for a Series

What is the Comparison Test for Series?

The Comparison Test for Series is a method used in mathematics to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It compares the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence properties, and uses this comparison to make a conclusion about the original series.

When is the Comparison Test for Series used?

The Comparison Test for Series is typically used when the terms of a series are positive and decreasing. It is also used when the terms of a series are positive and bounded by another series with known convergence properties.

How do you perform the Comparison Test for Series?

To perform the Comparison Test for Series, you must first choose a known series with known convergence or divergence properties. Then, you must compare the terms of the given series to the terms of the known series, and determine if the given series is larger or smaller. Finally, you use this comparison to make a conclusion about the convergence or divergence of the given series.

What is the difference between the Limit Comparison Test and the Comparison Test for Series?

The Limit Comparison Test and the Comparison Test for Series are similar in that they both use a known series to determine the convergence or divergence of a given series. However, the Limit Comparison Test uses the limit of the ratio of the terms of the two series, while the Comparison Test for Series compares the terms directly.

What are the limitations of the Comparison Test for Series?

The Comparison Test for Series can only be used on series with positive terms. It also relies on the existence of a known series with known convergence or divergence properties to make a conclusion about the given series. Additionally, it may not work for series with alternating or oscillating terms.