How to Set Up a Linear Programming Problem in Excel?

In summary, linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem with linear constraints. Its applications range from economics to resource allocation, and it works by converting real-world problems into mathematical models and solving them with specialized algorithms. However, linear programming has limitations and assumptions that may not always hold in real-world situations. Some common algorithms used to solve linear programming problems include the simplex method, the interior-point method, and the branch and bound method.
amenon2
Hello everyone, I am stuck on the problem given below. I am know how to set this problem algebraically but I am having a hard time setting up this problem in excel. This is the problem:
View attachment 2363

I would really appreciate if you guys help me. Thank you! :D

Attachments

• Larry Edison Question.png
    Larry Edison Question.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! :D

Can you show what you have tried so far so our helpers can see where you are stuck and be better able to provide help?

Related to How to Set Up a Linear Programming Problem in Excel?

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem with linear constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing a linear objective function while satisfying a set of linear constraints.

2. What are the applications of linear programming?

Linear programming has a wide range of applications in various fields such as economics, finance, transportation, manufacturing, and resource allocation. It can be used to optimize production processes, determine the most efficient use of resources, and make optimal investment decisions.

3. How does linear programming work?

Linear programming works by converting real-world problems into mathematical models with linear constraints and a linear objective function. These models are then solved using specialized algorithms to find the optimal solution.

4. What are the limitations of linear programming?

Linear programming is limited to problems with linear constraints and a linear objective function. It also assumes that all parameters are known and constant, and there is a single optimal solution. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not always hold, leading to suboptimal solutions.

5. What are some common algorithms used to solve linear programming problems?

Some common algorithms used to solve linear programming problems include the simplex method, the interior-point method, and the branch and bound method. Each algorithm has its advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.