How to represent a time varying vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the magnetic potential vector field given a time-varying electrical field and the challenges of representing it mathematically. The Lienard-Wiechert potential is suggested as a solution, but it is noted that the process can be tedious and complicated, as seen in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. It is recommended to start with simpler cases.
ScienceVSmath

Homework Statement

I'm solving for the magnetic potential vector field given a time varying electrical field. It might seem silly, but I don't really understand how to approach the problem since the field varies on both space and time. I'm given the motion of a charged particle. Can someone explain how exactly I would represent the time varying electrical, electric potential, and magnetic potential fields. I'm not really having an issue with the Physics, it's the math.

Homework Equations

E(x,t)=-∇Φ-(∂A/∂t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Vs, welcome to PF

That is a bit of a generic question. Can be made as complicated as you want (relativistic ?). The issue is specifically adressed and worked out with the Lienard-Wiechert potential .

From Ohio state:

Differentiating the Lienard-Wiechert potentials for a moving point charge is,
as the textbook says, straightforward but tedious". If you want to know
the details, look in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, which specializes in
straightforward tediousness.5
5Sometimes, to be fair, it deviates into devious tediousness​

My Jackson (2nd ed, 1975) Ch 6 is tedious, indeed. Pages look as clean as new, so I must have avoided them :)
I would start with simple cases.

Related to How to represent a time varying vector field

What is a time varying vector field?

A time varying vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the movement and direction of a vector at different points in time. This can be visualized as a set of arrows that change in direction and magnitude over time.

What tools are used to represent a time varying vector field?

There are various tools that can be used to represent a time varying vector field, including mathematical equations, computer programs, and data visualization techniques such as vector plots and animations.

How are vector fields used in science?

Vector fields are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and meteorology. They can help describe and predict the movement of objects, fluids, and other phenomena in both space and time.

What are some common applications of time varying vector fields?

Time varying vector fields have many applications, such as in weather forecasting, fluid dynamics, and analyzing the motion of particles in physics. They can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movement and interactions.

How can I visualize a time varying vector field?

There are several ways to visualize a time varying vector field, including using vector plots, animations, and color maps. These methods can help to better understand the changing direction and magnitude of the vectors over time. Some software programs also offer interactive tools for exploring and visualizing time varying vector fields.