How to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary: For every integer n smaller than 0, ##2n \leq -2 < -1##. So the only possibility is 2n=0, and also in this case it is impossible.This is a discussion about proving that the equation 2n=1 has no integer solutions, without just saying that n=1/2 is not an integer. In summary, the equation has no integer solutions because 2n can never equal 1 for any integer value of n, as the smallest possible value for 2n is 2, and the largest possible value is -1. This is true for all integers, including 0, making the equation impossible to solve.
Mr Davis 97
This might seem like a very simple problem, because we could just say that the only possible solution is n = 1/2, which is not an integer. But I am curious as to how to prove that there is no solution, with no knowledge of rational numbers, just as we can prove that x^2 = 2 as no rational solutions without any knowledge of irrational numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am confused. 1/2 is never an integer or even number. I am asking how I would prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions, without just saying that n=1/2 is not an integer.

There are different approaches. For example, derive (from a chosen set of integer axioms) that n solving this equation must be both even and odd, a contradiction.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
This might seem like a very simple problem, because we could just say that the only possible solution is n = 1/2, which is not an integer. But I am curious as to how to prove that there is no solution, with no knowledge of rational numbers, just as we can prove that x^2 = 2 as no rational solutions without any knowledge of irrational numbers.
The first thing to do - as always - check the statement: What is an integer? The proof of the irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}## which you mentioned, uses, that rationals can be written as quotients of integers, which are products of primes.

If you take the definition of primes again, then ##2n=1## implies the prime ##2\,\vert \,1## and is therefore a unit. But primes aren't allowed to be units, so ##2 \nmid 1## and ##n \notin \mathbb{Z}\,.## Or if you like: the only units in ##\mathbb{Z}## are ##\pm 1## so it's impossible because of that.

I know this is a bit like cheating, because it plays with definitions, so again: what is an integer?

Likes Mr Davis 97
I deleted my earlier post, and PAllen's reply to it.

PAllen said:
There are different approaches. For example, derive (from a chosen set of integer axioms) that n solving this equation must be both even and odd, a contradiction.
Or even simpler, along this line, it implies 1 is even; but 1 is odd.

Likes dkotschessaa and Mr Davis 97
With inequalities: 2*0 is not 1 (skip this if you don't include 0 in the integers). For every integer n larger than 0, ##2n \geq 2 > 1##.

Likes lavinia

Related to How to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions

1. What is the equation 2n=1?

The equation 2n=1 is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between n, an unknown variable, and 2, a constant. It means that when n is multiplied by 2, the result is 1.

2. Why is it important to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions?

Proving that 2n=1 has no integer solutions is important because it helps us understand the properties of integers and their relationship with other numbers. It also allows us to identify when a mathematical expression is impossible to solve, which is crucial in many fields of science and mathematics.

3. How can we prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions?

The simplest way to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions is by using proof by contradiction. Assume that there is an integer solution for n, and then show that it leads to a contradiction, such as a non-integer value for n. This proves that the original assumption was false, and therefore, there are no integer solutions for 2n=1.

4. Can we use any other method to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that 2n=1 has no integer solutions, such as using modular arithmetic, induction, or the Euclidean algorithm. However, proof by contradiction is the most straightforward and commonly used method for this type of proof.

5. Why is it necessary to specify that the solutions for 2n=1 should be integers?

Specifying that the solutions for 2n=1 should be integers is necessary because there might be non-integer solutions for the equation. For example, if we allow n to be a fraction or a decimal, there will be infinite solutions for 2n=1. By specifying that the solutions should be integers, we narrow down the possible solutions and make the proof more manageable.