How to Prove Divisibility in Math Problems?

• Thread starter Nx2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, TuYou are having difficulty with a proof question in geometry. You are stuck on one part and need help. You are using the same method with two different numbers and ending up with two different results.
Nx2
i just started my second semester with geomtry and am having difficulties with these proofs. i am stuck on this one question which asks:

prove that if n is an odd positive integer, then one of the numbers n+5 or n+7 is dividsible by 4.

so this is what i came up with:

let n = 2k+1

f(n)= n+5
= (2k+1)+5
= 2k+6
= 2(k+3)

So we know that 2 is divisible by 2 and now I am guessing i have to prove that (k+3) is divisible by 2 as well. then by using the factor tree thing we can say that since the 2 is divisible by 2 and (k+3) is divisible by 2, f(n) must be divisible by 4, no? but i don't get how to do this... am i doing something wrong?

i did the same exact method with f(n)= n+7 and ended up with f(n)= 2(k+4).

i just don't get all this proving stuff.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

- Tu

Physics news on Phys.org
You're basically "home",because you have to prove that one of the 2 no. K+3 or K+4 is divisible with 2,thing which is trivial.

Daniel.

so how would i show that (k+3) or (k+4) is divisible by 2... that what i don't understand. it looks to me that not all cases will be divisible by 2 making the statement false, but my teacher says that none of them are false. unless I am doing this question totaly wrong... any ideas?

thnx.

- Tu

Can u show that from two consecutive natural numbers (as is the case with K+3 & K+4),one & only one is divisible by 2...??

Daniel.

yea tu it sucks balls (this is phillips)

oooo... omg i can't believe i didnt see that... so (k+3) and (k+4) are consecutive number, which mean one of them must be even, making one of them divisible by 2 correct?

- Tu

yes
also you didnt need to substitute if you think about it, you already had the consecutive pairs

n, n+5, and n+7
n being odd, you are adding 1 to make it even, than another 4
if that isn't divisible, the other pair adds another 2, so it must be divisible if the other wasnt.

Omg man thnx alot... i apreciate it man

- Tu

lol, hey wats up Philips, didnt know u go on here lol

ooo i got yea philips... i should have seen that comming... man i hate this proof stuf... brutal...

useful forum
hey daniel while you are here
how would you do

prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is always divisible by 120 when n is greater than or equal to 3

and prove that there are no integer solutions to the equation 2x + 4y = 5
since both 2 and 4 are even numbers, does that alone prove there are no solutions?
thanks!

Related to How to Prove Divisibility in Math Problems?

What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is a logical and systematic way of demonstrating that a statement or theory is true based on evidence and reasoning. It is an essential part of the scientific method and is used to support or reject hypotheses.

Why are proofs important in science?

Proofs are important in science because they provide a way to validate and support scientific claims and theories. They help to ensure that scientific knowledge is based on reliable and verifiable evidence, and can be used to make accurate predictions and inform further research.

How do you construct a proof?

To construct a proof, you must first clearly state your hypothesis or claim. Then, you must gather evidence and data to support your claim. Next, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical or scientific principles to explain how the evidence supports your claim. Finally, you must present your proof in a clear and organized manner.

What are some common types of proofs used in science?

Some common types of proofs used in science include deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and proof by contradiction. Deductive reasoning involves using general principles or rules to reach a specific conclusion. Inductive reasoning involves using specific observations to create a general rule or theory. Proof by contradiction involves assuming the opposite of what you are trying to prove and showing that it leads to a contradiction.

How can I improve my skills in constructing proofs?

To improve your skills in constructing proofs, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from others. You can also study and learn from examples of well-constructed proofs in your field of study. Additionally, you can seek guidance from a mentor or take a course in logic, mathematics, or scientific reasoning.