How to prove bessel function J1/2(x) = sqrt(2/πx)sinx;

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Frobenius method and the recurrence formula to solve a mathematical equation. The person is struggling with where to plug in the value of 1/2 and asks for advice. They also mention using the general Bessel function to prove a specific function and ask for help simplifying the equation. The conversation concludes with the person thanking for the advice and stating that they have found a solution.
leyyee
I really have no idea.

I started with the frobenius method. Until the recurrence formula.

I got that already. But I just don't know where to plug in the 1/2 into the equation. Can anyone help? I just need to know where to put in the 1/2?

Or can i use the normal bessel function which in general.

[tex]
J_m(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{2^{m+2n}n!(n+m)!}x^{m+2n} = x^m \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{2^{m+2n}n!(n+m)!}(x^2)^n
[/tex]

to prove that function?

need advice thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
using series from the general case actually works.

to plug the 1/2 into this equation, you will need to study a special case of the gamma function for the factorial. Once you do this, the whole 2^(m+2n)∙n!∙(n+m)! should simplify nicely for m=1/2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particular_values_of_the_Gamma_function

to prove that J1/2(x) = sqrt(2/πx)sinx, you would better factorize x^(m-1) out of the sum and remain with x^(2n+1), this should simplify more easily.

the whole thing will become this . but how does it simplify to sinx? [tex]

J_m(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{2^{1/2+2n}n!(n+1/2)!}x^{1/2+2n} = x^1/2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{2^{1/2+2n}n!(n+1/2)!}(x^2)^n

[/tex]

i mean how to simplyfy the (n+1/2)!. thanks

just use (n+1/2)! = Γ(n+1/2 + 1 )

with that Γ(n+1/2 + 1 )

am I able to simplify it to sinx ?

thanks for the advice..

i have got the solutions.. thanks

Related to How to prove bessel function J1/2(x) = sqrt(2/πx)sinx;

1. How do you prove the Bessel function J1/2(x) = sqrt(2/πx)sinx?

To prove this, we can use the definition of the Bessel function Jν(x) given by the power series, along with the trigonometric identity sinx = (e^(ix) - e^(-ix))/2i. By substituting these into the equation for J1/2(x), we can manipulate the terms and use the Maclaurin series for e^(ix) and e^(-ix) to arrive at the desired result.

2. What is the significance of the Bessel function J1/2(x)?

The Bessel function J1/2(x) is a special case of the Bessel function Jν(x) with ν = 1/2. It arises in many physical problems, including the solution of the one-dimensional heat equation and the wave equation. It is also related to the study of circular and cylindrical structures, such as in the calculation of resonant frequencies in circular drums or cylindrical pipes.

3. Is there a geometric interpretation of the Bessel function J1/2(x)?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation of J1/2(x) as the amplitude of a circular wave with radius x and frequency 1/2. This can be visualized as a circular wave that is expanding outward from the center at a constant rate, with the amplitude decreasing as the distance from the center increases.

4. Can the Bessel function J1/2(x) be expressed in terms of simpler functions?

Yes, the Bessel function J1/2(x) can be expressed in terms of simpler functions such as trigonometric functions and the square root function. It is also related to the hypergeometric function and the gamma function.

5. How can the Bessel function J1/2(x) be used in practical applications?

The Bessel function J1/2(x) has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model and solve problems involving circular or cylindrical structures, as well as in signal processing and image analysis. It also has applications in the study of quantum mechanics and in calculating the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.