How to properly use an ammeter to monitor an electrolytic cell

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper way to wire an ammeter with a shunt in order to measure amps in an electrolytic cell. It is suggested to connect the shunt in series and to power the LCD display with a separate battery. The conversation also includes a precaution about not powering the LCD display with the same battery being measured and a clarification on how the ammeter measures current. The conversation ends with the individual thanking everyone for their help and a note about measuring current and voltage.
Squall
Hi i recently acquired an ammeter with a shunt can anyone explain how to wire this so i can measure amps in an electrolytic cell. Does the positive lead have to be wired across the shunt so that it doesn't burn out the lcd display. I've never used such an ammeter so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Connect the shunt in series to whatever you are doing, like to the battery for instance. The positive LCD lead has to be connected to the shunt where it is closest to the positive end of your battery and negative lead of LCD to the more negative end of the shunt.

Just a precaution. The LCD display has to be powered by a separate battery. If you attempt to power it by the battery you are measuring amps from, you might risk blowing up the LCD display.

Squall said:
Just to make sure is this what you mean:
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m261/Squall_11/?action=view&current=Ammeter.jpg
Thanks A lot

Correct. The "ammeter" is just a DVM measuring the small voltage drop generated by the current flowing through the low-resistance shunt. Different current ranges on the ammeter will often switch in different shunt resistor values, in order to keep the measured voltage large enough (10-100mV?) to give an accurate current reading on that range.

Thanks I just tested it out and it works great. i appreciate your help everyone

Quite note:
Always measure current by connecting it in series
Always measure voltage by connecting it in parallel

Related to How to properly use an ammeter to monitor an electrolytic cell

1. How do I connect the ammeter to the electrolytic cell?

To properly use an ammeter to monitor an electrolytic cell, you will need to connect the positive terminal of the ammeter to the positive terminal of the power source and the negative terminal of the ammeter to the positive terminal of the electrolytic cell.

2. What units should I use to measure the current in the electrolytic cell?

The current in an electrolytic cell is measured in amperes (A). It is important to use the correct units to ensure accurate readings.

3. How often should I take readings from the ammeter?

To effectively monitor the electrolytic cell, it is recommended to take readings from the ammeter at regular intervals, such as every 5 or 10 minutes. This will allow you to track any changes in the current over time.

4. What should the ammeter reading be in a properly functioning electrolytic cell?

In a properly functioning electrolytic cell, the ammeter reading should be a steady and consistent value. Any sudden fluctuations or significant changes could indicate a problem with the cell or the experimental conditions.

5. How do I interpret the ammeter reading in an electrolytic cell?

The ammeter reading in an electrolytic cell indicates the flow of current through the cell. If the reading is positive, it means that the current is flowing in the direction of the positive terminal of the ammeter. If the reading is negative, it means that the current is flowing in the opposite direction. A higher ammeter reading indicates a higher flow of current, while a lower reading indicates a lower flow of current.