How to Parametrize an Ellipse in Cartesian Coordinates?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curve or trajectory described by the equation $4x^2+y^2=1$, which is an ellipse. The graph of the ellipse is centered at the origin and has vertices at $(\pm\frac{1}{2},0)$ and $(0,\pm1)$. The parametric form of the ellipse is $x=\frac{1}{2}\cos t$ and $y=\sin t$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Find the curve $\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)$ that describes the following curve or trajectory. Make a graph.

$$\{(x, y) \mid 4x^2+y^2=1\}$$

How can I find such a curve??

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Find the curve $\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)$ that describes the following curve or trajectory. Make a graph.

How can I find such a curve??

Hi! :)

Let's start with taking a look at its graph.
What does it look like? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's start with taking a look at its graph.
What does it look like? (Wondering)

It is an ellipse, or not?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
It is an ellipse, or not?? (Wondering)

Yep. It's an ellipse. (Nod)

Do you know a parametric form of an ellipse? (Wondering)

Hint: it's similar to the form of a circle.

I like Serena said:
Yep. It's an ellipse. (Nod)

Do you know a parametric form of an ellipse? (Wondering)

Hint: it's similar to the form of a circle.

It is $$x=a \cos t \\ y=b \sin t$$ right?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
It is $$x=a \cos t \\ y=b \sin t$$ right?? (Wondering)

Yep.

That leaves figuring out what $a$ and $b$ are... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That leaves figuring out what $a$ and $b$ are... (Thinking)

Since $$4x^2+y^2=1 \Rightarrow 4a^2\cos^2 t+b^2\sin^2=\cos^2 t+\sin^2 t\Rightarrow 4a^2=1 \text{ AND } b^2=1 \Rightarrow a=\pm \frac{1}{2} \text{ AND } b=\pm 1$$

So, $$x=\frac{1}{2}\cos t \\ y=\sin t$$

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Hello, mathmari!

Find the curve $\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)$ that describes the following curve or trajectory.
Make a graph.

How can I find such a curve?

Do you recognize the equation of an ellipse?

We have: $\displaystyle\:\frac{x^2}{\frac{1}{4}} + \frac{y^2}{1} \:=\:1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \frac{x^2}{(\frac{1}{2})^2} + \frac{y^2}{1^2} \:=\:1$

The ellipse is centered at the Origin.
Its vertices are: $\: (\pm\frac{1}{2},0)\,\text{ and }(0,\pm1)$

mathmari said:
Since $$4x^2+y^2=1 \Rightarrow 4a^2\cos^2 t+b^2\sin^2=\cos^2 t+\sin^2 t\Rightarrow 4a^2=1 \text{ AND } b^2=1 \Rightarrow a=\pm \frac{1}{2} \text{ AND } b=\pm 1$$

So, $$x=\frac{1}{2}\cos t \\ y=\sin t$$

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Yep.

And as Soroban already observed, it shows yet again that the semi axes are $\frac 1 2$ respectively $1$. ;)

Related to How to Parametrize an Ellipse in Cartesian Coordinates?

1. How can I find the curve using a graph?

To find the curve using a graph, you will need to plot your data points on a graph and then draw a smooth line through the points. This line is called the curve and it will help you visualize the relationship between the variables in your data.

2. Can I use a mathematical equation to find the curve?

Yes, you can use a mathematical equation to find the curve. This is known as a mathematical function and it can help you determine the shape of the curve and the relationship between the variables in your data.

3. How do I determine if the curve is linear or nonlinear?

If the curve is a straight line, it is considered linear. If the curve is not a straight line, it is considered nonlinear. You can determine the linearity of a curve by looking at its shape on a graph or by using a mathematical function to analyze the data.

4. What is the significance of finding the curve in my data?

Finding the curve in your data can help you understand the relationship between the variables in your data. It can also help you make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data.

5. Are there any software tools that can help me find the curve in my data?

Yes, there are many software tools available that can help you find the curve in your data. Some popular options include Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, and Python. These tools have built-in functions and features that can help you plot and analyze your data to find the curve.