How to Obtain the Transition Probability Matrix in a Birth Death Markov Chain?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain the transition probability matrix for a 3-state continuous-time Markov chain with given birth and death rates. The matrix must contain probabilities in all cells and the sum of each row must be equal to unity. The matrix can be constructed using the matrix exponential, and the difference between the discrete-time and continuous-time versions is the solution method. The book "Markov Chains" by J.R. Norris and a website link provided by the speaker may offer further help in understanding this concept.
smoodliar
Hi

I am trying to model the behaviour of 2 independent ON-OFF sources. My state diagram is as follows

state 0 = both sources are OFF
state 1 = 1 of the sources are ON
state 2 = both sources are ON

The transition rates are given as

BIRTH RATE = lamda(i) = (N-I)*lamda
DEATH RATE = alpha(i) = i*alpha

So in my case N = 2.

I understand how to obtain the steady state distribution and the infinitesimal generation matrix. But I don't know how to obtain the transition probability matrix.

Reference taken from (see attached file):
netsys.kaist.ac.kr/~lectures/EE627_2009/material/EE627_1.ppt

Any help will be appreciated

Attachments

• EE627_1_pdf.pdf
    422.9 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
smoodliar said:
Hi
I understand how to obtain the steady state distribution and the infinitesimal generation matrix. But I don't know how to obtain the transition probability matrix.

There are just two requirements for a square state transition probability matrix.

1. All cells must contain a probability

2. The sum of each row must equal unity.

The probability that the system stays in the same state can be non-zero.

Last edited:
If I understood correctly, you have a 3-state continuous-time Markov chain. You know the transition rates (birth/death rates) so you know the infinitesimal generator matrix (Q), which gives you the probabilities of a transition in a short time interval. I guess you are trying to find the transition probabilities P["State at time t" = j | "State at time 0" = i]. The matrix constructed by these probabilities is given by e^(Qt). (Matrix exponential). Check out the book Markov Chains by Norris, which explains the relation between the infinitesimal generator and the transition probability matrix in the first few pages of Chapter 2.

It might also help to look at the discrete-time version. I did some search on the web. I found this web site, http://www.utdallas.edu/~jjue/cs6352/markov/node3.html which explains the discrete-time version. In summary, if you had a discrete-time Markov chain, those birth/death rates would correspond to "single-step" transition probabilities. In order to find the transition probabilities from a state to another one within some time, say m, you would look for the "m-step transition matrix" which is equal to m-th power of the "single-step" transition probability matrix.

I guess the difference between the discrete-time and continuous-time version is that the "m-step transition probability matrix" is the solution of a difference equation in the discrete case, and it is the solution of a differential equation in the continuous case.

- http://www.utdallas.edu/~jjue/cs6352/markov/node3.html
- Markov Chains, by J.R. Norris

Last edited:

Related to How to Obtain the Transition Probability Matrix in a Birth Death Markov Chain?

1. What is a Birth Death Markov Chain?

A Birth Death Markov Chain is a type of mathematical model used to analyze the behavior of a system that can transition between different states over time. It is commonly used in population studies, queueing theory, and other fields where the state of a system changes based on certain events.

2. How does a Birth Death Markov Chain work?

In a Birth Death Markov Chain, the system is represented by a set of states and the transition between those states is described by a set of probabilities. The states can either increase (birth) or decrease (death) over time, based on the transition probabilities. The model can be simulated or solved mathematically to predict the behavior of the system.

3. What are the assumptions of a Birth Death Markov Chain?

There are several key assumptions of a Birth Death Markov Chain, including: 1) the system is in a finite number of states, 2) the transition probabilities are constant over time, 3) the system is in a state of equilibrium, and 4) the transition probabilities are independent of previous states. These assumptions may vary depending on the specific application of the model.

4. What are some real-world applications of Birth Death Markov Chains?

Birth Death Markov Chains have many practical applications, including studying demographic patterns in populations, analyzing queuing systems in customer service or manufacturing, and predicting the spread of diseases. They can also be used in finance to model stock prices, in biology to study population dynamics, and in engineering to analyze reliability and maintenance of systems.

5. What are the limitations of a Birth Death Markov Chain?

While Birth Death Markov Chains are useful for modeling certain types of systems, they do have some limitations. For example, they assume that the system is in equilibrium and that the transition probabilities are constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the model may become complex and difficult to interpret if there are many states or transitions involved in the system.