How to Multiply Matrices I and Calculate the Inverse of Matrix B?

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation is about solving equations involving a matrix B and values p and q. The first question requires multiplying the matrix B by previously found values p and q and showing that the result is equal to zero. The second question involves finding the inverse of B, which can be simplified to 0.5(3I - B) by pre-multiplying it by B. The conversation ends with the clarification that specific values are given for B, p, and q.
Peter G.
Hi,

1.Show that B satisfies the equation (B-pI)(B-qI) = 0

2.Hence, or otherwise, show that B-1 = 0.5(3I - B)

In these kind of questions I don't know what they are testing me for! Let's take the first one as an example: The only skill they can possibly try to asses is whether I know how to multiply the matrix I by values I found previously (p and q). Other than that, all I can do to "answer" the question is performing the multiplication and showing it equals zero?

For the second one it is even worst... I know how to calculate the inverse of B and when I do it does in fact equal 0.5(3I - B), but, what should I put on paper? Calculate the inverse the regular way and then perform 0.5(3I - B) and show the results are equal?

I'm not sure if I was able to convey my doubt clearly... If the problem is due to lack of information in questions 1 and 2 I can add more information or rephrase my query.

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all the question gives? Is B just a general nxn matrix or is it something given? (since you said you found values of p and q)

You would just need to show that B, whatever that is will make that equation zero.

For the second one, if you pre-multiply both sides B you might be able to factorize it in the form given in 1.

Yeah, B is a 2x2 matrix. So I basically just multiply everything out and show it equals zero?

For the second one you mean if I expand the first equation I can get the second one?

Thanks once again,
Peter G.

Peter G. said:
Yeah, B is a 2x2 matrix. So I basically just multiply everything out and show it equals zero?
Are you given a specific matrix B and values for p and q?
Peter G. said:
For the second one you mean if I expand the first equation I can get the second one?
Multiply 0.5(3I - B) by B for the matrix you are given (assuming you know B). If the expression simplifies to I, then 0.5(3I - B) is the inverse of B.

Hi,

Yeah, I have a specific value for both the matrix B, p and q.

I got the second one now, thanks!

Related to How to Multiply Matrices I and Calculate the Inverse of Matrix B?

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields to express and manipulate data.

2. How do I show that two matrices are equal?

To show that two matrices are equal, you must prove that they have the same dimensions and that each corresponding element is equal. This can be done by comparing each element in the first matrix to its corresponding element in the second matrix.

3. How do I perform matrix addition?

To add two matrices, they must have the same dimensions. The sum of two matrices is calculated by adding the corresponding elements from each matrix. For example, the sum of a 2x2 matrix and a 2x2 matrix would be a 2x2 matrix with each element being the sum of the corresponding elements from the original matrices.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied by any matrix, it will result in the original matrix. It is denoted as In, where n is the number of rows (or columns) in the matrix.

5. How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. The inverse of a matrix can be found by using a specific formula or by using various methods such as Gaussian elimination or the adjugate matrix method.