How to Measure Power Using a Photodiode?

In summary, you want to measure power from a laser through a photodiode. You would need to calibrate the system and use an optical attenuator for higher output lasers.
lcr2139
Hello, I would like to measure power from a photodiode. How do I go about doing this? What would the circuit look like?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would like to measure the power of a laser through a photodiode, i mean.

lcr2139 said:
I would like to measure the power of a laser through a photodiode, i mean.
The traditional circuit is a current-to-voltage converter with an opamp:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/hgwKe.gif
hgwKe.gif

The circuit given above operates the LED as a photodiode at zero voltage and so measures the short circuit current. Short circuit current is a measure of the flux of photons being received. That current can be converted to power if the wavelength (colour) of the photons is known. You will need to calibrate the system. You may need to use an optical attenuator for higher output lasers.

For better answers more information is needed.
Why do you want to measure the power ?
What is the laser wavelength or colour ?
What is the power supply for the laser ?
Does the laser have a manufacturers part number ?
What sort of photodiode did you plan to use ?

I successfully hooked up my photodiode to an oscilloscope and got a good reading. Is there a way to measure noise, or SNR?

lcr2139 said:
I successfully hooked up my photodiode to an oscilloscope and got a good reading. Is there a way to measure noise, or SNR?

or should i use an optical spectrum analyzer?

I am not a mind reader. Why do you not answer questions?
Baluncore said:
For better answers more information is needed.
Why do you want to measure the power ?
What is the laser wavelength or colour ?
What is the power supply for the laser ?
Does the laser have a manufacturers part number ?
What sort of photodiode did you plan to use ?
What type of laser are you using?

Related to How to Measure Power Using a Photodiode?

1. What is a photodiode?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to detect and measure light intensity.

2. How does a photodiode measure power?

A photodiode measures power by converting the incident light into an electrical current. The amount of current generated is directly proportional to the intensity of the light, allowing for the measurement of power.

3. What are the advantages of using a photodiode for power measurement?

One advantage of using a photodiode for power measurement is its high sensitivity to light, allowing for accurate measurements. Additionally, photodiodes have a fast response time, making them suitable for measuring rapidly changing light sources.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of power measurements with a photodiode?

The accuracy of power measurements with a photodiode can be affected by factors such as temperature, wavelength of the incident light, and the linearity of the photodiode's response to light intensity.

5. How can I calibrate a photodiode for power measurements?

To calibrate a photodiode for power measurements, a known light source with a known power output can be used to establish a correlation between the photodiode's electrical current and the incident light intensity. This calibration can then be used for accurate power measurements in future experiments.