How to Measure G with a Compound pendulum

To summarize, a compound pendulum is a pendulum with a rod that has extended size and its period depends on its moment of inertia. To measure the period, one must determine the moment of inertia of the rod and measure its mass and distance from the pivot to the center of mass. T represents the time for one full oscillation.
rossildosil
For my Advanced Higher Physics Investigation i am measuring acceleration due to gravity. Having already done it with a simple pendulum my teacher says i have to do the same with a "Compound Pendulum". I was wondering how to do this and also how to make a compound pendulum with a steel rod.

Many thanks Ross.

Physics news on Phys.org
A compound pendulum is one where the rod is not massless, and may have extended size; that is, an arbitrarily shaped rigid body swinging by a pivot. In this case the pendulum's period depends on its moment of inertia I around the pivot point.

T=2*Pi*Sqrt(I/(m*g*L)) where I is the moment of inertia of the rod and L is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass. Measure the period and mass. Locate center of mass and measure distance to pivot. Determining moment of inertia could be the tricky part.

Hi that's great. Sorry for the slow reply, but i need to clear something up. Is the T the time taken for one oscilation?

Thanks

T is the period or how long to complete one complete cycle

To measure G with a compound pendulum, you will need to follow a similar process as you did with the simple pendulum. However, the key difference is that a compound pendulum consists of a rigid body with multiple points of suspension, rather than a single point like a simple pendulum. This allows for a more accurate measurement of acceleration due to gravity, as the motion of the compound pendulum is less affected by external factors such as air resistance.

To create a compound pendulum using a steel rod, you can follow these steps:

1. Obtain a long steel rod and attach a small mass (e.g. a metal ball) to one end of it.
2. Find a suitable point on the rod to attach a string or wire for suspension. This point should be close to the center of mass of the rod and should be able to support the weight of the rod and the attached mass.
3. Suspend the rod from a fixed point using the string or wire.
4. Adjust the position of the mass on the rod until the pendulum is balanced and the rod hangs vertically.
5. Measure the length of the rod from the point of suspension to the center of mass.
6. Use a timer to record the time for the pendulum to complete one full swing (back and forth).
7. Repeat the measurement multiple times and take an average to improve accuracy.

Once you have your compound pendulum set up, you can use the formula T=2π√(l/g) to calculate the acceleration due to gravity (g), where T is the period of the pendulum and l is the length of the pendulum.

It is important to note that there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of your measurement, such as the quality of the steel rod and the precision of your timing. Therefore, it is recommended to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to reduce any errors.

I hope this helps and good luck with your investigation!

Related to How to Measure G with a Compound pendulum

1. How does a compound pendulum measure the acceleration due to gravity (G)?

A compound pendulum measures the acceleration due to gravity (G) by using the formula G=(4π²L)/T², where L is the length of the pendulum and T is the time period of its oscillation. By measuring the length and time period of the pendulum's swing, the value of G can be calculated.

2. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a compound pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a single point mass attached to a string or rod, whereas a compound pendulum has a physical structure with a distributed mass. The motion of a simple pendulum is governed by the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity, while a compound pendulum's motion is influenced by its mass distribution and length.

3. How do you ensure accurate measurements when using a compound pendulum?

To ensure accurate measurements when using a compound pendulum, it is important to minimize any external factors that may affect its motion, such as air resistance and friction. This can be achieved by using a rigid and lightweight structure for the pendulum, as well as reducing the amplitude of its swing to avoid air resistance.

4. Can a compound pendulum be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity on different planets?

Yes, a compound pendulum can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity on different planets. However, the value of G may vary on different planets due to differences in mass and distance from the planet's center. Therefore, the pendulum's length and time period would need to be adjusted accordingly for accurate measurements.

5. What are the limitations of using a compound pendulum to measure G?

One limitation of using a compound pendulum to measure G is that it assumes a simple harmonic motion, which may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. The accuracy of the measurements may also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and humidity, which can affect the pendulum's motion. Additionally, the precision of the measurements may be limited by the equipment used and the experimenter's skill in taking measurements.