How to make your own iPhone Ringtone

• Thread starter zzyjetty521
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iphone
In summary, making your own iPhone ringtone and transferring it to your iPhone directly can be done in a few simple steps. First, choose a song and determine the portion you want to use as your ringtone. Then, right click on the song and go to "info" and adjust the "start time" and "stop time" to the desired portion. Next, right click again and select "Make AAC Version" and drag the new version to the desktop. Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r and drag it back into iTunes. Finally, your ringtone will be recognized by iTunes and can be easily transferred to your iPhone. Alternatively, you can also use GarageBand to create a 30-second ring
zzyjetty521
How to make your own iPhone Ringtone and transfer it to your iPhone directly?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Re-write that.

Don't you forced to download through itunes/something only?

rootX said:
Don't you forced to download through itunes/something only?

OH is he asking how to transfer a song or something from a computer to an iPhone? That's easy enough just look on the web... you can use many methods e-mail, usb, bluetooth, media cards, media messaging... just download from a website... it's endless lol.

Sorry! said:
OH is he asking how to transfer a song or something from a computer to an iPhone? That's easy enough just look on the web... you can use many methods e-mail, usb, bluetooth, media cards, media messaging... just download from a website... it's endless lol.

He is asking:
1) How to make your own iPhone Ringtone
- I believe mpeg/avi files are not compatible with iphone so you use some program to convert to the iPhone format files (or iTunes)
2) transfer it to your iPhone directly?
- Use that song/something as iPhone Ringtone

This is one of other ways ...
http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_custom-iphone-ringtones-free.html

rootX said:
He is asking:
1) How to make your own iPhone Ringtone
- I believe mpeg/avi files are not compatible with iphone so you use some program to convert to the iPhone format files (or iTunes)
2) transfer it to your iPhone directly?
- Use that song/something as iPhone Ringtone

This is one of other ways ...
http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_custom-iphone-ringtones-free.html

Ah I see the problem now lol. Sorry. Apple is being greedy for money again and is using their own .m4r format for ringtones.

Here is another link that also shows you how to use your own songs/sounds whatever you want into ringtones:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/523_converting-mp3-files-to-iphone-ringtones

You can get Audacity for free from www.downloads.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Try asking your question http://www.google.com" .

I could tell you, but I work for AT&T and we're not supposed to give that info out.

http://www.youtube.com" works pretty well too for something like that :)

(P.S. - Technically no, you're not forced to download them through iTunes.. You can make your own with the songs you have right on iTunes. Start there if you want to know)

Last edited by a moderator:

zzyjetty521 said:
How to make your own iPhone Ringtone and transfer it to your iPhone directly?

New user here, thought I'd help out as my first post!

It's pretty easy, you need to do the following steps:

1) Pick a song
2) Listen to the song to find out what portion of the song you want to use. Watch the time and write down the start / stop time. Try to make it under 30 seconds or so.
3) Right click on the song and hit "info"
4) Go to the "Options" tab
5) near the bottom there is "Start Time" and "Stop Time" --> put these numbers that you wrote down into here (don't worry, it's not permanent)
6) After you've got the numbers in, right click on the song and hit "Make AAC Version"
7) Drag the new version to the desktop. Remove the new version from iTunes.
8) Change the file extention from .m4a to .m4r
9) Drag it back in. iTunes recognizes it as a ringtone now!

Hope this helps!

kpachla said:
New user here, thought I'd help out as my first post!

It's pretty easy, you need to do the following steps:

1) Pick a song
2) Listen to the song to find out what portion of the song you want to use. Watch the time and write down the start / stop time. Try to make it under 30 seconds or so.
3) Right click on the song and hit "info"
4) Go to the "Options" tab
5) near the bottom there is "Start Time" and "Stop Time" --> put these numbers that you wrote down into here (don't worry, it's not permanent)
6) After you've got the numbers in, right click on the song and hit "Make AAC Version"
7) Drag the new version to the desktop. Remove the new version from iTunes.
8) Change the file extention from .m4a to .m4r
9) Drag it back in. iTunes recognizes it as a ringtone now!

Hope this helps!

That'd be the way :) Good call.. And you can do that with any song in your iTunes. Works like a charm!

You know I was originally going to reply with a question: Did you seriously create an account at PF with soul purpose of asking a question that could just as easily have been answered by typing the exact same question into Google? I can't decide if that is laziness or not.

But I am wayyy to busy to making 'Whoomp there it is' my ringtone to do that.

Thanks kpachla!

Saladsamurai said:
You know I was originally going to reply with a question: Did you seriously create an account at PF with soul purpose of asking a question that could just as easily have been answered by typing the exact same question into Google? I can't decide if that is laziness or not.

But I am wayyy to busy to making 'Whoomp there it is' my ringtone to do that.

Thanks kpachla!

Hmm, good question! Maybe a lurker that wanted to finally jump into the open? I just found PF today and thought I'd help out right away, but it's always nice to have someone retell you a method or story.

I think my record for making a ringtone is the 2 minutes it took me last night to make my "Frankensten" ringtone.

I think using garage band is just as few steps, as there is a share as ring tones option there. GB will automatically create a 30second band that you can adjust or move over the time line before exporting, and there s no file naming or messing with Ur i tunes library (except to select the song).

Related to How to make your own iPhone Ringtone

1. How do I convert a song or audio file into an iPhone ringtone?

To convert a song or audio file into an iPhone ringtone, you will need to use iTunes on a computer. Open iTunes and select the song you want to use as a ringtone. Right-click on the song and select "Get Info." Go to the "Options" tab and set the start and stop times for the ringtone (maximum of 30 seconds). Click "OK" and then right-click on the song again and select "Create AAC Version." This will create a shortened version of the song. Right-click on the new version and select "Show in Finder" (on a Mac) or "Show in Windows Explorer" (on a PC). Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. Drag and drop the .m4r file into iTunes and it will appear under the "Tones" section. You can now sync the ringtone to your iPhone via iTunes.

2. Can I make a ringtone from a song that I purchased from the iTunes Store?

Yes, you can make a ringtone from a song that you purchased from the iTunes Store. However, you will need to make sure that the song is DRM-free. To check this, right-click on the song in iTunes and select "Get Info." Go to the "File" tab and look for the "Kind" field. If it says "Purchased AAC audio file," then the song is DRM-protected and cannot be used as a ringtone. If it says "AAC audio file," then the song is DRM-free and can be converted into a ringtone following the steps outlined in the first question.

3. How do I add custom ringtones to my iPhone without using iTunes?

There are a few third-party apps that allow you to create and add custom ringtones to your iPhone without using iTunes. Some popular options include GarageBand, Ringtone Designer, and Ringtones for iPhone. These apps typically have a user-friendly interface and allow you to create ringtones from songs already on your iPhone, or from your own audio files.

4. Can I set a custom ringtone for specific contacts on my iPhone?

Yes, you can set a custom ringtone for specific contacts on your iPhone. To do this, go to the Contacts app and select the contact you want to set a custom ringtone for. Tap "Edit" in the top right corner and then scroll down to the "Ringtone" section. Tap on the current ringtone and select the custom ringtone you want to use for this contact. Tap "Done" to save the changes.

5. Is there a limit to the number of custom ringtones I can have on my iPhone?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of custom ringtones you can have on your iPhone. The maximum number of ringtones you can have is 500, including both stock and custom ringtones. If you reach this limit, you will need to delete some ringtones before you can add more. You can delete ringtones by going to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone and swiping left on the ringtone you want to delete.