How to Linearize an R vs θ graph (distance vs angle)

In summary, linearizing a graph can be done by approximating it with a linear function, either by using derivatives and Taylor series or by using linear regression. However, over a large domain, linearizing may not be accurate.
Bianca526
TL;DR Summary
I wanted to ask if there was any way I could linearize this graph? Its a displacement vs angle graph and Im having difficulty trying to figure out how to linearize it.
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.45.44 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In pieces maybe?

If I may ask, how would I do that?

Why do you want to linearize it? And more importantly, what makes you think that it can be linearized?

I'll assume that you mean you want to approximate it's value with a linear function?

In a global sense, this certainly isn't a linear function. So, over a large domain, you can't linearize it with any reasonable accuracy.

However, any well behaved function can be approximated by a line in a small enough domain. It's as simple as calculating the slope of the curve at the point you want to approximate around, then, combined with the value at that point you can solve for the linear approximation; y = m⋅x + b. Do you know about derivatives? That is the key, that is what m is.

Then the real problem comes when you want to know how accurate your approximation is over some domain around the point. For that you'll want to learn about Taylor Series.

Alternatively, you can define your domain as a certain number of points and use linear regression to calculate the best linear fit.

In either case Wikipedia is a good place to get more information.

Bianca526 said:
If I may ask, how would I do that?

One linear approximation from (e.g.) 0 to 10. Another from 10-20. Another from 20-30. And so on.

Bianca526 said:
Summary:: I wanted to ask if there was any way I could linearize this graph? Its a displacement vs angle graph and I am having difficulty trying to figure out how to linearize it.

View attachment 274151
It tends to follow Y = sin (2xangle) apart from the first few points which seem to be outliers from a straight line.

Related to How to Linearize an R vs θ graph (distance vs angle)

1. How do I linearize an R vs θ graph?

To linearize an R vs θ graph, you need to plot the data on a new graph with a linear x-axis and a logarithmic y-axis. This will transform the data into a straight line, making it easier to analyze.

2. What is the purpose of linearizing an R vs θ graph?

The purpose of linearizing an R vs θ graph is to make the relationship between the variables more apparent and easier to understand. It also allows for more accurate data analysis and predictions.

3. What are the steps to linearize an R vs θ graph?

The steps to linearize an R vs θ graph include plotting the data on a new graph with a linear x-axis and a logarithmic y-axis, finding the slope and intercept of the line, and using these values to create a new equation for the data.

4. Can any R vs θ graph be linearized?

Not all R vs θ graphs can be linearized. The data must have a logarithmic relationship for it to be linearized. If the data does not have a logarithmic relationship, linearizing it may not be appropriate.

5. Are there any limitations to linearizing an R vs θ graph?

Linearizing an R vs θ graph can help make the relationship between the variables more apparent, but it does not change the underlying data. Therefore, it is important to interpret the linearized data with caution and consider any limitations or assumptions made during the process.