How to Leave a Network Domain?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who recently moved to remote work using a work-borrowed laptop that is part of a network domain. They are trying to set up a new internet connection through their home wireless network, but are unable to do so. They are advised to leave the work domain and join a workgroup, but encounter issues when trying to log in with a blank username and password. The conversation ends with the suggestion to contact the work helpdesk for assistance.
natski
Hi everyone,

After recently moving from my workplace to work remotely using a laptop back in blighty, I found my work-borrowed laptop is part of a network domain. This prevents me from using the network wizard to setup a new connection to the internet through my wireless network at home.

I have a wireless network at home with no security settings or anything and although my computer can find and connect to the wireless connection, when I load up Internet Explorer or something it becomes clear that I am in fact not connected to the internet at all.

So I think I need to leave the work-place domain of which I was previously a member and become kind in a 'free' domain so to speak. Any advise? Thanks!

Natski

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could it just be that you're accessing the net through your workplace gateway (cache)?

Try changing your options to "direct connection" ?

--> right click my computer, choose properties
--> select the Computer Name tab"
--> click change button
--> At the bottom click the Workgroup radio button, and type whatever workgroup you want to use or join's name
--> click ok ok ok ok ok ok until you are out of that window.

I tried the advise of joining workgroup, exactly as stated. It asked me for a username and password that would be accepted by the workgroup 'MS HOME' and i just used a blank username and blank password. The computer said i had to restart. Upon doing so, I found my log in username and password no longer worked and neither does two blanks! I can now not even get Windows XP to log on and I am completely locked out of my own laptop! Help!

you need to log in using a local account, the account you used before when you logged in locally will work.

i've never had a different account, when i received the computer form work there was onyl one account setup on it on the work domain.

So you didnt follow my advice then, because if you did, you wouldn't have been able to log on locally

Your Laptop will have a local accounts, its impossible to remove all of them, especially the Local Admin account. You need to know the local administator account details. It seems you were logging into the domain before using your domain account right?

To be honest I don't really understand your last message. I received a work laptop that was part of the work domain with a login username and password. Upon changing domain to a workgroup it prompted me for a new username and password, I chose blank and blank. When I restarted my usual login didn't work or the blank and blank. That's really all I know. I haven't chosen any other passwords except these.

Call your work helpdesk. I don't think you actually followed my advice, probably because you didnt understand.
You don't need to enter a password to join a workgroup, only to join a domain.

Sorry I didnt realize how little you knew regarding Windows OS. I can't be more help.. All the best

Related to How to Leave a Network Domain?

1. What does "Leaving a Network Domain" mean?

"Leaving a Network Domain" refers to the process of disconnecting from a specific network or internet domain, usually in order to join a different network or domain.

2. How do I leave a network domain?

The process for leaving a network domain varies depending on the specific network or domain you are connected to. In general, you will need to go into your network settings and select the option to disconnect or leave the current network or domain.

3. Why would I want to leave a network domain?

There are several reasons why you may want to leave a network domain. For example, you may be switching to a different network for better connectivity or security reasons, or you may be leaving a job or organization that had access to the network domain.

4. Can I rejoin a network domain after leaving?

In most cases, yes, you can rejoin a network domain after leaving. However, this will depend on the specific network or domain and their policies. Some networks may require you to go through a re-approval process before being able to rejoin.

5. Is there a difference between leaving a network domain and disconnecting from a network?

Yes, there is a difference. Leaving a network domain specifically refers to disconnecting from a specific network or internet domain, while disconnecting from a network can refer to any type of disconnection, such as turning off Wi-Fi or unplugging an Ethernet cable.