How to know whether a given process is reversible?

In summary: Are you familiar with the transport (non-equilibrium) physical properties of gases and liquids known as viscosity and thermal conductivity?I am a little bit familiar with viscosity. We can start with this.When a gas is experiencing an irreversible expansion or compression, the rate of deformation of the gas is very rapid. When this happens (i.e., the process is irreversible), the behavior of the gas does not obey the ideal gas law, which is a thermodynamic equilibrium relationship. Instead, the behavior of the gas depends on the rate at which the gas is deforming. To give you an idea how this works, a very crude approximation to
Pushoam

Homework Statement

How do we know that an adiabatic process is reversible , while isothermal process is not?
Do we have to calculate the entropy change of the process or we have to check experimentally whether the system is in eqbm at infinitesimal time interval( but this seems impossible)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
How do we know that an adiabatic process is reversible , while isothermal process is not?
Why do you say that? The Carnot cycle is built up of adiabatic and isothermal steps, all reversible.

Pushoam said:
Do we have to calculate the entropy change of the process or we have to check experimentally whether the system is in eqbm at infinitesimal time interval( but this seems impossible)?
Reversibility is an idealized concept. In reality, no thermodynamic process is truly reversible, but reversibility is a good approximation for many cases. As far as I know, reversibility is most often stated, rather than inferred. In other words, we want a change to be reversible, and imagine a physical situation where that would be the case. Some processes, of course, are only irreversible.

Pushoam said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think your real question is "what are the physical characteristics of an irreversible process compared to a reversible process?" Is that what you are asking?

Chestermiller said:
I think your real question is "what are the physical characteristics of an irreversible process compared to a reversible process?" Is that what you are asking?
Yes.
If I have been given a process, then how will I decide whether it is irreversible or not?
One method will be to check entropy of the isolated system.
Is there any other method?

Pushoam said:
Yes.
If I have been given a process, then how will I decide whether it is irreversible or not?
One method will be to check entropy of the isolated system.
Is there any other method?
Ok. I will be back in a while to help you get a feel for the characteristic differences between reversible and irreversible processes. Are you familiar with spring-dashpot mechanical systems?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with spring-dashpot mechanical systems?
I haven't heard it before.
Will you please post a picture of the system?
I may recognize it.

Pushoam said:
I haven't heard it before.
Will you please post a picture of the system?
I may recognize it.
Instead of using this approach to help you understand irreversible processes, I think I'll try a different approach. Are you familiar with the transport (non-equilibrium) physical properties of gases and liquids known as viscosity and thermal conductivity?

Sorrry for replying late, please forgive me for this.

Thank you for reminding me this.
Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with the transport (non-equilibrium) physical properties of gases and liquids known as viscosity and thermal conductivity?
I am a little bit familiar with viscosity. We can start with this.

When a gas is experiencing an irreversible expansion or compression, the rate of deformation of the gas is very rapid. When this happens (i.e., the process is irreversible), the behavior of the gas does not obey the ideal gas law, which is a thermodynamic equilibrium relationship. Instead, the behavior of the gas depends on the rate at which the gas is deforming. To give you an idea how this works, a very crude approximation to the behavior of an ideal gas in a cylinder under irreversible expansion or compression conditions can be written as:
$$\frac{nRT}{V}-2\frac{\eta}{V}\frac{dV}{dt}=P_{ext}\tag{1}$$where ##\eta## is the viscosity of the gas and ##P_{ext}## is the external force per unit area applied to the gas. Note the time derivative of the gas volume in the viscosity term in the equation.

Here is an example of how this plays out. Suppose you have an adiabatic expansion or compression, so that the amount of heat added or removed is zero. From the first law of thermodynamics applied to this system, we have (in differential form):
$$nC_v\frac{dT}{dt}=-P_{ext}\frac{dV}{dt}\tag{2}$$If we combine these two equations, we obtain:
$$nC_v\frac{dT}{dt}=-nRT\frac{d\ln{V}}{dt}+2\eta V\left(\frac{d\ln{V}}{dt}\right)^2\tag{3}$$If we divide this equation by T, we obtain:
$$nC_v\frac{d\ln{T}}{dt}+nR\frac{d\ln{V}}{dt}=2\frac{\eta}{T} V\left(\frac{d\ln{V}}{dt}\right)^2\tag{4}$$
But, for an ideal gas, the left hand side of this equation is the rate of change of entropy:
$$\frac{dS}{dt}=2\frac{\eta}{T} V\left(\frac{d\ln{V}}{dt}\right)^2\tag{5}$$Note that, because the rate of change of volume is squared on the right hand side of this equation, the right hand side of this equation is positive definite (and thus does not depend on whether the gas is expanding or compressing). So, according to this equation, in an adiabatic irreversible expansion or compression of an ideal gas in a cylinder, the rate of generation of entropy is always positive, and proportional to the square of the rate of change of volume.

Like I said, this development only very crude and approximate, but it contains the key physical mechanism (viscous dissipation) responsible for the generation of entropy.

Chestermiller said:
But, for an ideal gas, the left hand side of this equation is the rate of change of entropy:
Looking at eqn. 2, I think that LHS of this eqn. is ##\frac{dQ}{dT}##.
Then, only the first part of the LHS of eqn (4) is ## \frac {dS}{dT}##. Isn't it so?

Pushoam said:
Looking at eqn. 2, I think that LHS of this eqn. is ##\frac{dQ}{dT}##.
For someone presently involved in trying to understand the 2nd law of thermodynamics, you seem awfully confused about how even to apply the 1st law of thermodynamics to a problem. In terms of Q, what do the words "adiabatic expansion or compression" in my post #9 mean to you? Eqn. 2 is the result of applying the 1st law of thermodynamics to our problem of adiabatic expansion or compression for an ideal gas. The left hand side represents the change in internal energy, and the right hand side represents the work done by the surroundings on the gas.
Then, only the first part of the LHS of eqn (4) is ## \frac {dS}{dT}##. Isn't it so?
No. You are aware that, in addition to temperature, entropy also varies with volume, correct?

Related to How to know whether a given process is reversible?

1. How do we define a reversible process?

A reversible process is one in which the system and its surroundings can be returned to their original states by reversing the direction of all changes that occurred during the process. This means that the process is infinitely slow, with no energy lost as heat or other forms of work.

2. What is the key factor in determining whether a process is reversible?

The key factor in determining whether a process is reversible is the absence of irreversibilities. This means that the process must not involve any dissipation of energy in the form of heat or work, and must be conducted in a perfectly insulated and frictionless system.

3. Can a real-life process ever be considered fully reversible?

No, it is physically impossible for a real-life process to be fully reversible. This is because all real processes involve some level of energy dissipation, whether it be due to friction, heat transfer, or other factors. However, some processes can be approximated as reversible under certain conditions.

4. What is the role of entropy in determining whether a process is reversible?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a reversible process, the entropy of the system remains constant, as there is no dissipation of energy. Therefore, the absence of entropy change is a key indicator of a reversible process.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to reversible processes?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total entropy of the universe must increase. This means that a reversible process, which has no change in entropy, is not a natural process and cannot occur in reality. The second law also provides a theoretical limit for the efficiency of a reversible process, known as the Carnot efficiency.