How to know the cross section in this Figure

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the cross section for the process (pp -> gamma gamma bb~) in a plot with the y-axis representing the number of events divided by 100 GeV and a luminosity of 100 fb^-1. It was mentioned that the cross section can be calculated by multiplying the luminosity by the number of events and dividing by the bin width. The conversation also touched on determining the cross section by finding the maximum of the histogram and the importance of summing over all bins to get the total cross section. It was noted that using a cross section calculator may give different results.
Safinaz
Hi all,

Do anyone familiar with these analysis of cross section ?

I wonder how to find the cross section of ( p p ## \to \gamma \gamma## b b~) (blue region) in the opposite plot, the y-axis is the number of events divided by 100 GeV with luminosity = 100 ##\mbox{fb}^{−1 }##..

Untitled.png
The Fig. from [arXiv:1601.07934 [hep-ph]]. It's known that ## \sigma \times ## luminosity = Number of events, and also ## \mbox{GeV}^{−2}=0.3894~ \mbox{mb}=0.0389~ \mbox{fm}^2 ##, but i still stuck to find sigma at 250 for instance ..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a weird axis, but it works. You have to sum over all bins. Let's take the one that goes from 250 to 260 (?), its value is about "110/(100 GeV)" (130 is the sum of pp and Zh, Zh is about 20). The bin width is 10 GeV, so we have 110/(100 GeV) * 10 GeV = 11 events. We have those with 100/fb, so the cross section from this bin is 11/(100/fb) = 0.11 fb. Sum over all bins to get the total cross section.

I think we can determine the cross section by the maximum of the histogram at around 240 on the y-axis .. so that the number of events =(240/100 )*10=24, the cross section = 24/100 fb =0.24 fb , so we can say p p > 2 gamma 2b as this plot = 0.24 fb, is it right ?

Because actually I don't know how to sum over all bins to get the exact cross section ..

However when I calculate sigma p p > 2 gamma 2 b in standrad model via any cross section calculator like Madgraph , it gives sigma = 346 fb , some thing getting strange here ..

Last edited:
Safinaz said:
I think we can determine the cross section by the maximum of the histogram at around 240 on the y-axis
No we cannot.
Safinaz said:
Because actually I don't know how to sum over all bins to get the exact cross section ..
Do the calculation I showed for each bin, then add the values.

Thanx :)

Safinaz said:
I think we can determine the cross section by the maximum of the histogram at around 240 on the y-axis
if instead of taking all the events you want to take only the events that are in a single bin [itex]i[/itex], what you are calculating is the cross section in that bin (differential cross section [itex]d \sigma / dX[/itex], where X represents the variable in which you bin the histogram). Obviously you have to integrate that over all X values (sum over all bins) to get the cross section.
Now I wouldn't try to count it with the eye ...

Related to How to know the cross section in this Figure

1. What is a cross section?

A cross section is a 2-dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional object or structure. It is created by slicing through the object at a specific angle or orientation.

2. How do you determine the cross section in a figure?

To determine the cross section in a figure, you need to identify the 2-dimensional shape that results from the slice through the 3-dimensional object. This can be done by closely examining the figure and identifying the key features and angles.

3. Why is it important to know the cross section in a figure?

Knowing the cross section in a figure is important as it allows us to better understand the 3-dimensional object or structure. It also helps in making accurate calculations and predictions about the object's properties and behavior.

4. What are some common methods for determining the cross section in a figure?

Some common methods for determining the cross section in a figure include rotation, slicing, and projection. These methods involve manipulating the figure in various ways to reveal the 2-dimensional shape that represents the cross section.

5. Can the cross section in a figure change depending on the angle or orientation of the slice?

Yes, the cross section in a figure can change depending on the angle or orientation of the slice. This is because the resulting 2-dimensional shape will vary depending on how the object is sliced. It is important to carefully consider the angle of the slice when determining the cross section.