How to interpret or read this?

• Thread starter WIN
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a graph with a log-log plot and the relationship between the x and y axes. The scaling of the graph is explained, with the y axis showing lines between 1 and 10, and between 10 and 100. The conversation also mentions using a given value of Q in liters/second to find the corresponding pressure on the graph. The DN lines on the graph represent different sizes of valves according to German standards.
WIN
can anyone help with this type of graph... trying to get the relationship between the y n x axis...maybe the gradient ..but i don't know how to read this graph due to the scaling...guide pls?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please translate the labels on the axes?

As for the scaling, it is a log-log plot. On the y axis, the lines between 1 and 10 are 2, 3, 4, etc., the lines between 10 and 100 and 20, 30, etc., and so on.

its rate of flow at x-axis and pressure loss (head loss)at y axis

WIN said:
can anyone help with this type of graph... trying to get the relationship between the y n x axis...maybe the gradient ..but i don't know how to read this graph due to the scaling...guide pls?

You enter this chart with a given value of Q in liters / sec. and then follow a vertical line upward until it intersects one of the DN lines. Then you draw a horizontal line from this intersection to the left axis and read the value of Δh.

I'm not sure what the different DN correspond to, but following a given DN line, you get the pressure as a function of the rate of flow, in a logarithmic scale as I explained previously.

DrClaude said:
I'm not sure what the different DN correspond to, but following a given DN line, you get the pressure as a function of the rate of flow, in a logarithmic scale as I explained previously.
I suspect the DN lines represent different sizes of something: a pipe, a fitting, or some such.

yup..thx a lot.. i just looked up on the log-log plot in wiki... was lost due to the plotting style..
DN XX is the size of valve according to German standards like ISO standard...

Related to How to interpret or read this?

1. How do I interpret data in a graph?

Interpreting data in a graph involves understanding the axes, labels, and any other visual elements that are used to represent the data. Start by identifying the variables being shown on the x and y axes, and then look for any patterns or trends in the data. Pay attention to the scale of the graph and any units of measurement used.

2. What is the best way to read a scientific article?

When reading a scientific article, it's important to start by skimming the abstract and introduction to get an overview of the study. Then, read the methods section to understand how the study was conducted. Next, analyze the results and discussion sections to see the findings and their implications. Finally, read the conclusion and any references cited to gain a better understanding of the research.

3. How can I interpret statistical data?

Interpreting statistical data involves understanding the measures of central tendency (such as mean, median, and mode) and measures of variability (such as range, variance, and standard deviation). It's also important to consider the sample size and any potential biases in the data. Graphs and charts can also be helpful in visualizing the data.

4. What does it mean to analyze data?

Analyzing data involves examining and interpreting the information collected from a study or experiment. This can include identifying patterns, trends, and relationships between variables. It also involves making inferences and drawing conclusions based on the data.

5. How do I interpret scientific findings?

Interpreting scientific findings involves understanding the methods used in the study, the data collected, and the statistical analyses performed. It's important to consider any potential limitations or biases in the research. Additionally, it's important to critically evaluate the findings and consider how they fit into the larger body of scientific knowledge.