How to integrate int (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2) dx Is it a substitution?

In summary, the person is looking for help with antidifferentiating the equation (x^2+4)^(-1/2). They have tried substituting different variables, making x the subject, and using partial fractions, but have not been successful. They are asking for guidance on using trig substitutions to solve the problem.
gordda
I need help antidiffing this equation:
(x^2+4)^(-1/2)

i have tried subbing u=x^2+4 i have tried subbing u= (x^2+4)^(-1/2).
i have tried making x the subject. even tried to use partial fraction, with no avail, because i could not figure out how to use partially factorize it.
If anyone could lead me towards the right answer.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gordda said:
I need help antidiffing this equation:
(x^2+4)^(-1/2)

i have tried subbing u=x^2+4 i have tried subbing u= (x^2+4)^(-1/2).
i have tried making x the subject. even tried to use partial fraction, with no avail, because i could not figure out how to use partially factorize it.
If anyone could lead me towards the right answer.
Thanks.

Whenever you have an integrand that looks like the Pathagoras theorem, use trig substitutions. You know, draw a right triangle with theta in it. Then the hypotneuse is the radical, one side is 2, the other is x right. Follow through: What would the tan(theta) be?

Yes, integrating (x^2+4)^(-1/2) can be done using substitution. Here's how:

Let u = x^2 + 4
Then du/dx = 2x
And dx = du/2x

Substituting these values into the original equation, we get:

∫ (x^2+4)^(-1/2) dx = ∫ (x^2+4)^(-1/2) * (du/2x)
= (1/2) * ∫ u^(-1/2) du
= (1/2) * ∫ u^(-1/2) * u^0 du
= (1/2) * ∫ u^(1/2) du
= (1/2) * (2u^(3/2)) + C
= u^(3/2) + C
= (x^2+4)^(3/2) + C

So, the final integrated form is (x^2+4)^(3/2) + C. You can also verify this solution by differentiating it and checking if it gives the original equation.

Hope this helps!

Related to How to integrate int (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2) dx Is it a substitution?

1. What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is an important tool in mathematics and science, used to solve various problems and model real-world situations.

2. What is the formula for integrating (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2)?

The formula for integrating (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2) is ∫(x^2 + 4)^(-1/2) dx = 2arctan(x/2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. Why is substitution used in this integration?

Substitution is used in this integration because the integrand contains a nested function, making it difficult to integrate using traditional methods. By substituting a new variable, the nested function can be simplified and the integration becomes more manageable.

4. How do you choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable is chosen based on the nested function within the integrand. It should be a variable that, when substituted, results in a simpler function that can be easily integrated. In this case, the substitution x/2 is chosen, as it simplifies the nested function (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2) to 1/(1 + u^2), which can be integrated using the formula for arctan(u).

5. What is the importance of the constant of integration in this integration?

The constant of integration is important in this integration because it represents the family of curves that satisfy the given integration. It accounts for all possible solutions and must be included in the final answer. It also allows for the integration to be reversed, as the derivative of 2arctan(x/2) + C is equal to (x^2 + 4)^(-1/2).