How to integrate int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a trig substitution to solve the problem \frac{dx}{(4+x^2)^2}. The solution involves making the substitution x=2tan(u) and using right angle trigonometry to simplify the problem. The expert suggests internalizing this substitution technique for similar problems in the future.
sandbanana

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{dx}{(4+x^2)^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I understand that [tex]\frac{dx}{a^2+u^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex] tan -1 [tex]\frac{u}{a}[/tex] + c

The Attempt at a Solution

The extra square is throwing me off for some reason. If I let a=2 and u=x it doesn't seem to help because of the whole term being squared. I end up with [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]tan-1[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex] + c. In my book the first fraction is [tex]\frac{1}{16}[/tex]I'm pretty sure I can't complete the square because it isn't ax^2+bx+c. Basically I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would go with a trig substitution, tan u = x/2.

Yeah I can't believe I missed that substitution. I was going through my notes and realized I let that square block my train of thought for some reason. Its amazing what a small break and clearing your head can do.
I just let a=2 and x=2 tan theta. What I forgot to do was take the derivative of x. Plugging it all back together and then using some right angle trigonometry I found out the problem was much easier than I though.
Thanks for the help.

This is a good substitution technique to internalize. Often when you have a2+x2 in the denominator, you will make the substitution x=a*tan(u). If you have a2-x2, then you make either x=a*cos(u) or x=a*sin(u).

Related to How to integrate int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx

1. What is the formula for integrating int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx?

The formula for integrating int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx is ∫ 1/(a^2+x^2)^n dx = (1/a^2(n-1)) * (a/(a^2+x^2)^(n-1) + (2n-3)/(a^2(n-1)) * ∫ 1/(a^2+x^2)^(n-1) dx, where a is a constant and n is a positive integer.

2. Can this integral be solved using substitution?

Yes, this integral can be solved using the substitution method. A common substitution for this type of integral is u = 4 + x^2, which then leads to du = 2x dx.

3. What limits should be used when evaluating this integral?

The limits for this integral will depend on the specific problem or context in which it is being used. In general, the limits should be chosen to encompass the entire range of integration. For example, if the integral is being used to find the area under a curve, the limits would be the x-values of the endpoints of the curve.

4. Can this integral be solved using partial fractions?

Yes, this integral can be solved using partial fractions. The integrand can be rewritten as 1/(4+x^2)^2 = A/(4+x^2) + B/(4+x^2)^2, where A and B are constants. These fractions can then be integrated separately.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx?

One special case is when the integrand is in the form of 1/(a^2+x^2)^n, where n is a positive odd integer. In this case, the integral can be solved using the trigonometric substitution method. Another exception is when the limits of integration are infinite, in which case the integral can be evaluated using the limit definition of the integral.