How to Improve the Smoothness of Thin Film Samples?

In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, the problem is determining the minimum thickness of an antireflective coating to minimize reflection of a light ray traveling through a viscous medium and striking a crystal protected by a film. The relevant equation used is 2t+0.5λ1+0.5λ3= (m+0.5)λ2 where m=1, and the answer is 0.5 wavelengths for the light in n = 1.25. To make thin film samples smooth, the spray pyrolysis technique can be used, but additional methods may be needed to achieve a smooth surface.
Geekio
1. The problem statement:

A wavelength (λ)550 nm light ray traveling thru a viscous medium n1= 1.46 strikes a a crystal n3=1.5 protected by a film n2=1.25.

2. Relevant equation:

How can I determine the min thickness of the antireflective coating used to minimize the reflection of the incident light?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can determine it by using
2t+0.5λ1+0.5λ3= (m+0.5)λ2 where m=1 and then solving for t.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Geekio.
I waited an hour and a half to post because I just don't understand this question.
To prevent reflection, you normally use a coating with index of refraction midway between the two media. In this problem your media are n = 1.46 and n = 1.5 while your coating is 1.25. At the 12 boundary your index is decreasing while at the 13 boundary it is increasing, so your reflections will be out of phase half a wavelength for starters. Oh, I think I see it . . . if the coating is half a wavelength thick and traversed twice, that is a total of 1.5 wavelengths and you'll get destructive interference. Clever! Never heard of it before but it ought to work.

So the answer is 0.5 wavelengths for the light in n = 1.25. I guess you'll have to figure out the frequency of that light from the information given at n = 1.46, then use that frequency to calculate the wavelength at n = 1.25.

thank you very much

hi ...i prepared thin film samples by spray pyrolysis technique but their surface arent smooth ..can anyone tell me how can i make it smooth ?please

Related to How to Improve the Smoothness of Thin Film Samples?

What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of two surfaces of a thin film, resulting in constructive and destructive interference. This can create a pattern of light and dark areas that can be observed.

What factors affect thin film interference?

The thickness and refractive index of the thin film are the two main factors that affect thin film interference. The angle of incidence and the wavelength of light can also impact the interference pattern.

How is thin film interference used in technology?

Thin film interference is commonly used in the production of anti-reflective coatings for glasses, camera lenses, and solar panels. It is also used in optical filters, such as those used in LCD screens, to create specific colors.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference occurs when the light waves reflected from the two surfaces of a thin film are in phase, resulting in a brighter interference pattern. Destructive interference occurs when the light waves are out of phase, resulting in a darker interference pattern.

How can thin film interference be observed or measured?

Thin film interference can be observed with the naked eye by looking at the colors reflected from a soap bubble or oil slick. It can also be measured using instruments such as an interferometer or spectrophotometer, which can analyze the intensity and wavelength of light reflected from thin films.