How to implement a Fredkin gate in a classical network?

In summary: I've no idea I'm afraid - this 'Integrated Information Theory' looks like a load of nonsense is somewhat outside my comfort zone :biggrin:
Agrippa
TL;DR Summary
Hi, I'm wondering about the Fredkin gate (controlled swap gate) and how to implement it with simple logic gates.
Hi, I'm wondering about the Fredkin gate (controlled swap) gate, which is defined by the truth table on p54 here. I'm trying to implement it in a simple feedback network that takes the form of what can be input into this software: integratedinformationtheory.org/calculate. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Technology news on Phys.org
If 'software' models standard logic gates (the link is broken), don't you simply need to model the truth table of the Fredkin gate with standard gates? Wikipedia gives this model, I haven't checked that it is correct.

Sorry, here's the link:
http://integratedinformationtheory.org/calculate.html
I don't see the relevant implementation on wiki - I need to do it with a set of binary nodes that each can be defined as a certain sort of logic gate. Any suggestions appreciated.

Did you miss this (I have translated the symbols into those used on p.55 of the paper you linked because on p.54 the same symbols are used for inputs and outputs!):

y1 = ((NOT u) AND x1) OR (u AND x2)
y2 = ((NOT u) AND x2) OR (u AND x1)
v = u

Thanks, this is helpful!

My question is really about the implementations of these rules in the kind of system defined by the software I linked to. We can express the rules as a truth table (as in my first link), or we can express the rules by logic operations on inputs (as you have), but how do we implement these rules in the relevant type of system?

If you take a look under "network" at the second link (that hopefully now works), an option might be to just create three binary nodes A, B, and C. The question, then, would be: how do we define each node?

I guess your suggestion is (for e.g.): define node A as ((~C)&A) OR (C&B).

Unfortunately, the software only allows each node to be defined by one of the following:

AND,
NAND,
OR,
NOR,
XOR,
Random,
Majority,
Minority,
Parity,
Greater than threshold,
Less than threshold

So this may be the answer to my question: It can't be done! The software is too limited to allow the Fredkin gate to be implemented.

But I'm not sure - maybe we just need more than three nodes to implement the Fredkin gate in this software?

Agrippa said:
But I'm not sure - maybe we just need more than three nodes to implement the Fredkin gate in this software?
Yes I think you will need to add some nodes to calculate intermediate results. It doesn't look as though there is a unary NOT node so you will need to implement NOT C as C NAND C.

Likes Agrippa
pbuk said:
Yes I think you will need to add some nodes to calculate intermediate results. It doesn't look as though there is a unary NOT node so you will need to implement NOT C as C NAND C.

Does the attached look correct as an implementation of node A?
To create a node for C NAND C, I had to split C into C1 and C2, and I also used three intermediary nodes (I1, I2 and I3).

Attachments

• Node A of fredkin gate.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 143
Agrippa said:
Does the attached look correct as an implementation of node A?
I've no idea I'm afraid - this 'Integrated Information Theory' looks like a load of nonsense is somewhat outside my comfort zone :biggrin:

Related to How to implement a Fredkin gate in a classical network?

What is a Fredkin gate?

A Fredkin gate, also known as a controlled-SWAP gate, is a logic gate in quantum computing that swaps the values of two qubits based on the value of a third qubit. It is a reversible gate and is often used in quantum circuitry for implementing various algorithms.

Why would someone want to implement a Fredkin gate in a classical network?

The Fredkin gate has been shown to have potential uses in classical computing, such as in reversible computing and certain types of error correction. It can also be used in designing classical logic circuits with lower power consumption and smaller size.

How does a Fredkin gate work?

A Fredkin gate takes in three input bits (A, B, and C) and outputs three bits (A, B, and AB ⊕ C). The gate swaps the values of bits A and B if the value of bit C is 1, and leaves them unchanged if C is 0. The value of bit AB ⊕ C is then determined by the exclusive OR (XOR) operation between A and B, with the result being stored in bit C.

Can a Fredkin gate be implemented in a classical network?

Yes, a Fredkin gate can be implemented in a classical network using classical logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. However, this implementation would not be reversible, unlike in quantum computing where the Fredkin gate is inherently reversible.

Are there any limitations to implementing a Fredkin gate in a classical network?

One limitation of implementing a Fredkin gate in a classical network is that the input bits must be classical bits, meaning they can only have a value of either 0 or 1. In contrast, in quantum computing, qubits can have a superposition of both 0 and 1, allowing for more complex operations with the Fredkin gate. Additionally, the classical implementation of the Fredkin gate may require more logic gates and thus more resources compared to its quantum counterpart.