How to Help a Bird Stuck in Your Garage?

• Thread starter techmologist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird Stuck
In summary, the conversation is about a bird that has flown into the garage and is unable to find its way out. The person has tried leaving the door open and using a fabric or bread crumbs to lure the bird out, but it is still stuck. They eventually find a solution by leaving the cat's food outside and letting the bird leave on its own without any human presence.
techmologist
I had the garage door cracked open slightly, so that's how he got in. I have now opened the door fully, but he can't seem to find his way out. He flies to the back of the garage, perches on a box as if he's preparing to make a run for it. But when he flies toward the exit, he perches on the garage door (is this just a reflex he can't control?). I can't think of anything to do, so I'm just leaving him alone with the door wide open in hopes that he will eventually calm down and fly out. Is that the right way to go about it? I really need him out before my mom gets home and freaks out. She freaks when a frog hops in the garage, so I know she won't like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get close enough to the bird to throw a light fabric over it? The bird will probably be easier to catch and release that way. A dark-colored cotton shirt would be great.

turbo-1 said:
Can you get close enough to the bird to throw a light fabric over it? The bird will probably be easier to catch and release that way. A dark-colored cotton shirt would be great.

I'll have to look around. I had contemplated throwing an old shirt on him, but he pretty much stays hid between the garage door and the ceiling. So I would have to try to hit him with it while he's flying. He's already pretty excited and, naturally, pooping all over the place.

UPDATE: While I was looking around for my dark green cotton T-shirt, the bird apparently collected his thoughts and flew out. Now I just have a little cleaning to do. Thanks for your suggestion, Turbo-1. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I would put some bread crumbs on a plate, then put the plate about 2 feet outside of the garage door. Then walk away, the less he sees of you, the better the odds he will leave on his own.

hypatia said:
I would put some bread crumbs on a plate, then put the plate about 2 feet outside of the garage door. Then walk away, the less he sees of you, the better the odds he will leave on his own.

That's what did the trick in the end. I put my cat's food bowl, which is what the birds were after anyway, just outside the garage while I went to look for the T-shirt. The combination of the tempting food and me not being there to make him nervous was all he needed. thanks :)

i had a hummingbird get in my apartment once. turns out, they can't see in the dark. when the sun went down, i reached up to the bookshelf and caught him in my hand. i set him outside on the deck, where he sat all night til the sun came up.

butterfly net

OP solved.

Related to How to Help a Bird Stuck in Your Garage?

1. How can I help the bird in my garage?

The best way to help a bird stuck in your garage is to try and gently guide it towards an open door or window. You can also use a towel or blanket to cover the bird and carefully pick it up to release it outside.

2. What should I do if the bird is injured?

If the bird appears to be injured, it is best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center or animal control for assistance. They will have the necessary expertise and resources to properly care for the bird.

3. Is it safe to handle the bird?

It is generally not recommended to handle wild birds, as they can become stressed and may try to peck or scratch. If you do need to handle the bird, make sure to wear gloves and handle it gently to avoid causing further harm.

4. How did the bird get into my garage?

Birds can accidentally fly into open garage doors or sneak in through small openings or gaps. It is also possible that the bird was searching for food or shelter and found its way into your garage.

5. What can I do to prevent birds from getting stuck in my garage in the future?

To prevent birds from getting stuck in your garage, make sure to keep all doors and windows closed when not in use. You can also install screens or netting over any openings to prevent birds from entering. Additionally, avoid leaving out food or water sources that may attract birds into your garage.