How to get transfer function (freq. domain) from Newton's 2nd Law Eqn

In summary, the student is trying to find the transfer function for a dynamic system. They have two equations that describe the two bodies in the system. They are unsure how to proceed and would appreciate any help.
annas425

Homework Statement

I am given the following dynamic system. I want to find the transfer function, θ1(s)/T(s).

The main body of the satellite, J1, acts like a large mass flying through space; space is essentially without friction and therefore no damping is imparted on the main body. The solar collector array acts like a second order underdamped system attached to the satellite, adding second order underdamped modes to the system. The satellite has thrusters that can impart a torque T(t) on the satellite main body; attitude θ1(t) can be measured; gravity from nearby planets is negligible about the axis of rotation; the structure attaching the main body to the solar collector acts as a torsional spring k and torsional damper b.

T(s) is the plant input, and θ1(s) is the plant output.

28s4pk0.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd Law (F=ma)

Laplace Transform?

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with the following two equations (which I believe describe each body in the above dynamic system):

J1*θ1''(t) = -b*[θ1'(t) - θ2'(t)] - k*[θ1(t) - θ2(t)] + T(t)

J2*θ2''(t) = -b*[θ2'(t) - θ1'(t)] - k*[θ2(t) - θ1(t)]

As you can see, these are in the time domain (where θ''(t) = a(t), the second derivative of position; θ'(t) = v(t), the first derivative of position). I am unsure how to now get the transfer function from these equations (and in turn get these into the frequency domain). The transfer function is θ1(s)/T(s).

Should I take the Laplace Transform of the two equations? I am sure there is something else I am missing. Any light shed on this is GREATLY appreciated! Have a nice day :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the laplace transform of the two equations is a good place to start

And the problem statement is ... ?

Related to How to get transfer function (freq. domain) from Newton's 2nd Law Eqn

1. What is the transfer function in Newton's 2nd Law equation?

The transfer function in Newton's 2nd Law equation represents the relationship between the input force and the output acceleration of an object.

2. How is the transfer function derived from Newton's 2nd Law equation?

The transfer function can be derived by taking the Laplace transform of Newton's 2nd Law equation, which converts the equation from the time domain to the frequency domain.

3. What are the benefits of using the transfer function in Newton's 2nd Law equation?

The transfer function allows for easier analysis and understanding of the behavior of a system, as it provides a clear relationship between input and output variables. It also allows for the design of controllers and filters to improve system performance.

4. Can the transfer function be used for any system described by Newton's 2nd Law equation?

Yes, the transfer function can be applied to any system that follows Newton's 2nd Law, regardless of its complexity or number of variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the transfer function from Newton's 2nd Law equation?

The transfer function may not accurately represent the behavior of a system if there are nonlinearities or if the system is highly complex. It also assumes that the system is time-invariant, meaning that its behavior does not change over time.