How to get parameters of interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of reproducing results from an article on the interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6. The data in table S4 shows the 1-D Morse potential parameters for the intermolecular bonds formed in various geometries. The process of calculating these parameters involves calculating the intermolecular potential at various points along the specified intermolecular coordinate with all other parameters fixed, and then fitting them to an analytical form. This process is non-trivial and often requires the use of counterpoise corrections. The authors of the article have used an atomistic decomposition approach to generate force field parameters, but it may not accurately capture the angular dependence of the potential. It is recommended to read the authors
Mikhail_V
HI, I want to reproduce results from the article (attached).

I need to get parameters of interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6 for Morse equation.
I easily got results of interation between MOLECULES H2 and C6H6, shown in Table S2 'The first-principles and Morse force field (eq.1)...', but I do not know how to get parameters between ATOMS of H2 and C6H6, shown in Table S4
I used ORCA for my caclulations.
Any suggestions are welcome

Attachments

• SI_Lithium-Doped_3D_Covalent_Organic_Frameworks_High-Capacity.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The data in table S4 are still for the intermolecular potentials as far as I can see. They are simply giving the 1-D Morse potential parameters for the intermolecular bonds formed in various geometries. See figure S6 for some examples.

SpectraCat said:
The data in table S4 are still for the intermolecular potentials as far as I can see. They are simply giving the 1-D Morse potential parameters for the intermolecular bonds formed in various geometries. See figure S6 for some examples.

Thank you for your answer, but how can I repeat these calculations. I mean, how can I get 1-D Morse potential parameters. For example for C_R ---H_A (Table S4) do I need to use specific technique to exclude the influence of other atoms in cluster?

Mikhail_V said:
Thank you for your answer, but how can I repeat these calculations. I mean, how can I get 1-D Morse potential parameters. For example for C_R ---H_A (Table S4) do I need to use specific technique to exclude the influence of other atoms in cluster?

No, what you need to do is calculate the intermolecular potential at various points along the specified intermolecular coordinate, with all other intermolecular parameters fixed. You then fit those points to some analytical form .. in this case a Morse potential. Note that calculating the intermolecular potential in this way is non-trivial. You typically should do a partial minimization, where the intermolecular geometry is kept fixed at each desired configuration, but the individual molecular geometries are allowed to relax ... I doubt it matters much in this case, since the potentials seem pretty shallow, but it is usually better to be on the safe side. Furthermore, extracting the intermolecular potential at each point is also non-trivial .. usually this is done by the counterpoise method of Boys and Bernardi. Most molecular structure packages have counterpoise corrections as built-in routines.

SpectraCat said:
No, what you need to do is calculate the intermolecular potential at various points along the specified intermolecular coordinate, with all other intermolecular parameters fixed. You then fit those points to some analytical form .. in this case a Morse potential. Note that calculating the intermolecular potential in this way is non-trivial. You typically should do a partial minimization, where the intermolecular geometry is kept fixed at each desired configuration, but the individual molecular geometries are allowed to relax ... I doubt it matters much in this case, since the potentials seem pretty shallow, but it is usually better to be on the safe side.

I calculated the intermolecular potential at various points along the specified intermolecular coordinate (H_ --- H_A, please, see attachment mentioned above), the potential well is -0,117 kcal/mol (much higher). All other atoms were kept fixed via constraints. How can I exclude the impact of other atoms of system C6H6---H2 in simulated potential H_---H_A?

SpectraCat said:
Furthermore, extracting the intermolecular potential at each point is also non-trivial .. usually this is done by the counterpoise method of Boys and Bernardi. Most molecular structure packages have counterpoise corrections as built-in routines.

Thank you. This correction is really important.

Ok, I think I understand better what you were asking in your original question. I see now that the authors do appear to have done some sort of atomistic decomposition of the different parts of their interaction potential. That means that they treated the overall interaction as a sum over all all of the individual atomic interactions .. that is why they have their Morse potential parameters indexed by atom in tables S3 & S4 .. their use of the term "atom type" in several places supports this interpretation. It makes a kind of sense as well, because they are trying to generate force field parameters .. I am just surprised that they are assuming isotropic potentials and completely ignoring the angular dependence of the potential which is certainly significant. Personally I think this is *highly* approximate, and I would not expect it to give good agreement with experimental data ... however, that is only my opinion, and I am not an expert in the field of force field generation. I strongly urge you to read the authors earlier work in that field, since they may explain the reasons why they can ignore angular dependence.

Anyway, you can do this same treatment yourself easily enough, and see if you get the same results. You just need to set up the sums properly, which is a bit tedious and tricky, but quite doable. You will also have more fitting parameters to deal with of course .. one set for each atom type.

One other point .. it doesn't look like the authors used the counterpoise corrections for their potentials, based on the equation on page S2, so you may want to try fitting both your corrected and uncorrected surface to see which gives better agreement with the paper.

Hope this helps.

Related to How to get parameters of interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6?

What are the parameters of interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6?

The parameters of interaction between atoms of H2 and C6H6 include the bond length, bond angle, and bond strength. These parameters determine the stability and reactivity of the molecule.

How do I calculate the bond length between H2 and C6H6?

The bond length between H2 and C6H6 can be calculated using quantum mechanical calculations or experimental methods such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy. These methods provide accurate measurements of the distance between the two atoms.

What factors affect the bond strength between H2 and C6H6?

The bond strength between H2 and C6H6 is affected by factors such as the electronegativity of the atoms, the size of the atoms, and the presence of any functional groups. These factors can influence the polarity and stability of the bond.

Are there any other parameters that affect the interaction between H2 and C6H6?

Yes, in addition to bond length and strength, other parameters such as molecular geometry, molecular orbitals, and intermolecular forces can also affect the interaction between H2 and C6H6. These parameters can impact the overall structure and properties of the molecule.

Can the parameters of interaction between H2 and C6H6 be modified?

Yes, the parameters of interaction between H2 and C6H6 can be modified by introducing different functional groups or changing the distance between the two atoms. This can alter the strength and type of bonding between the molecules, leading to different properties and reactivity.