How to get 4 roots for z^4 +16 =0?

• Thread starter dla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, to solve for z^4+16=0, you can first rewrite the equation in polar form and then find the roots of z^2= -4i by using Euler's formula.
dla

Homework Statement

Solve for z^4 +16=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first did was square rooted both sides to get z^2 = ±4i, but I don't how to continue from there. I'm guessing we have to find the roots from z^2=4i and then from z^2=-4i separately any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
try this first;

[tex]z^4+16=0[/tex]

[tex](z^2+4i)(z^2-4i)=0[/tex]

You could try rewriting the RHS of ##z^4 = -16## in Euler form, which may make the problem less fiddly.

In fact, in polar form, i= e^{i\pi/2} so [itex]\sqrt{i}= e^{i\pi/4}= \sqrt{2}/2+ i\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\pi/4}= \sqrt{2}/2- i\sqrt{2}{2}[/itex]

If [itex]z^2= -4i[/itex] then [itex]z= \pm i(2)\sqrt{i}[/itex].

Related to How to get 4 roots for z^4 +16 =0?

1. What is the general method for finding roots for a polynomial equation?

The general method for finding roots for a polynomial equation is to use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the roots.

2. How do I solve z^4 +16 =0 using the quadratic formula?

To solve z^4 +16 =0 using the quadratic formula, first rewrite the equation as z^4 = -16. Then, take the square root of both sides to get z^2 = ±4i. Finally, take the square root again to get four roots: z = ±2i or z = ±2i.

3. Can I use the factor theorem to find the roots of z^4 +16 =0?

No, the factor theorem only applies to polynomials with degree less than or equal to 3. The equation z^4 +16 =0 is a quartic polynomial, so the factor theorem cannot be used to find its roots.

4. Can I use the rational root theorem to find the roots of z^4 +16 =0?

No, the rational root theorem only applies to polynomials with integer coefficients. The equation z^4 +16 =0 has a constant term of 16, which is not divisible by any integer, so the rational root theorem cannot be used to find its roots.

5. Is there a way to check if my solutions for z^4 +16 =0 are correct?

Yes, you can plug your solutions back into the original equation and see if they make the equation true. For example, if one of your solutions is z = 2i, you can plug it into the equation to get (2i)^4 +16 = 0, which simplifies to -16 +16 = 0. Since this is a true statement, 2i is a valid solution.