How to find the orbits of a subgroup?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the orbit partition for a subgroup H of a permutation group G that fixes one point. The example given shows that the orbit partition for H is {{3}, {4}, {1,2,5}}. The conversation also mentions the use of the Schreier-Sims algorithm to solve this problem.
metalhadi

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I have just joined the community, and I really appreciate your help. Here is what I'm struggling with:

Assume a permutation group G generated by set S, i.e., G=<S>. Since S is given, we can easily find the orbit partition for G. Now assume the subgroup H of G that fixes one point in the permutation group. Can we easily find the orbit partition of H?

Let me give you an example:
Imagine group G with generators g1 = (1, 2)(3,4) and g2 = (2,5)(3,4). The orbit partition for G is {{1,2,5}, {3,4}}. Now imagine the subgroup H of G that fixes 3. What is the orbit partition for H?

P.S: I think you know what "fixing a point" means, but here is a hint. A point in a permutation set is fixed, if it is mapped to itself in all the permutations in the set. For example, 5 is mapped to 5 in g1, so 5 is fixed in g1.

2. The attempt at a solution
I want to mention two things, first the answer for the example I gave. Looking at generators g1 and g2, you realize that 3 is not fixed in any of them, but if you compose g1 and g2, you will get g1.g2=(2,5,1) which fixes 3. So you can say that the orbit of H is {{3}, {4}, {1,2,5}}.
Second, I thought that Schreier-Sims algorithm could solve this problem in general case, but then I found out that it is usually used to check membership. I have not yet found a direct link from Schreier-Sims algorithm to what I want, but there might be a way to use Schreier-Sims algorithm.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to find the orbits of a subgroup?

1. What are subgroups in orbit determination?

Subgroups in orbit determination are groups of objects that orbit around a central body, such as planets orbiting around a sun. They can also refer to smaller groups within a larger orbital system, such as moons orbiting around a planet.

2. How do you determine the orbits of a subgroup?

The orbits of a subgroup can be determined using mathematical equations and data analysis. This includes observing the positions and velocities of objects within the subgroup, as well as taking into account the gravitational forces between them and the central body.

3. What factors affect the orbits of a subgroup?

The orbits of a subgroup can be affected by various factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects within the subgroup, as well as the gravitational pull of other nearby objects. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and solar radiation can also play a role.

4. What methods are used to find the orbits of a subgroup?

There are several methods that can be used to find the orbits of a subgroup, including direct observations, mathematical modeling, and simulations. These methods can be combined to obtain a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the subgroup's orbits.

5. How can the orbits of a subgroup be useful?

The orbits of a subgroup can provide valuable information about the dynamics and interactions within an orbital system. They can also be used to predict and plan for future trajectories of objects within the subgroup, such as for satellite missions or spacecraft navigation.