How to find the net acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a monkey climbing a rope to raise a block off the ground. The participants discuss the equations and inequalities needed to solve the problem, and clarify the correct force applied by the monkey on the rope. They also mention the use of Newton's laws to prove that the force applied by the monkey on the rope is equal to the tension in the rope.
navneet9431
Gold Member

Homework Statement

IMG_20180710_093219.jpg

This is the question(16) I am going to talk about.

Homework Equations

Acceleration=Force/Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20180710_092322.jpg

I drew a Free Body Diagram for this question.Here,The red mark shows the point on the rope at which the monkey applies the force(10a).
So for the block to move up T<10a+10g and T>15g.
So,At the red mark
10(a+g)-T=10*a (Net Acceleration)...(i)
And for the block,
T-15g=15*a (Net Acceleration)....(ii)
So I have successfully find two equation.
What should I do next to get the final answer?

I will be thankful for help!

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_093219.jpg
    IMG_20180710_093219.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_20180710_092322.jpg
    IMG_20180710_092322.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 761
Physics news on Phys.org
It is usual in problems like this to ignore the acceleration of the block that is needed to raise it a couple of millimetres off the floor. As long as the tension in the rope is greater than the weight of the block, by however small a margin, the block will raise off the floor, if we ignore friction. So we can effectively regard the block as being stationary, and so the rope is also stationary, while the monkey scrambles up the rope.

So the problem becomes:

(1) what tension must the rope have in it to support the stationary block off the ground but not accelerate it upwards other than negligibly? and
(2) how fast will the monkey accelerate upwards, climbing the rope, if the rope is pulling up on him by that tension (and he is pulling back down on the rope by the same tension)?

How could you say that the monkey is pulling back on the rope by the same tension?
andrewkirk said:
It is usual in problems like this to ignore the acceleration of the block that is needed to raise it a couple of millimetres off the floor. As long as the tension in the rope is greater than the weight of the block, by however small a margin, the block will raise off the floor, if we ignore friction. So we can effectively regard the block as being stationary, and so the rope is also stationary, while the monkey scrambles up the rope.

So the problem becomes:

(1) what tension must the rope have in it to support the stationary block off the ground but not accelerate it upwards other than negligibly? and
(2) how fast will the monkey accelerate upwards, climbing the rope, if the rope is pulling up on him by that tension (and he is pulling back down on the rope by the same tension)?

Equation (ii) seems correct. Inequality T>15g is correct.

But equation (i) and inequality T<10a+10g are incorrect. The force that the monkey applies to the rope is not 10a it is -10(a+g)=-T. To prove this make a FBD for the monkey and use Newton's second law. Also use Newton's 3rd law to prove that the force that the monkey applies to the rope equals -T.

Likes navneet9431
navneet9431 said:
How could you say that the monkey is pulling back on the rope by the same tension?

This is Newton's 3rd Law: The rope applies to the monkey force T, hence the monkey applies to the rope force -T.

As @Delta² notes, this
navneet9431 said:
T<10a+10g
should really be an equality. But what you had here:
navneet9431 said:
T<10a+10g and T>15g.
was enough to solve the problem. Just combine them to eliminate T.

Likes navneet9431

Related to How to find the net acceleration?

1. How do I calculate the net acceleration?

To calculate the net acceleration, you need to find the sum of all the individual accelerations acting on an object. This can be done by using the formula net acceleration = sum of all accelerations.

2. What is net acceleration?

Net acceleration refers to the overall acceleration experienced by an object, taking into account all the individual accelerations acting on it. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How do I find the individual accelerations?

The individual accelerations can be found by using the formula acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This can be done for each individual force acting on the object, and then these accelerations can be summed to find the net acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the net acceleration of an object?

The net acceleration of an object can be affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of individual accelerations, the mass of the object, and the presence of any external forces acting on the object.

5. Can the net acceleration ever be zero?

Yes, the net acceleration can be zero if the sum of all the individual accelerations acting on an object is equal to zero. This can happen if the individual accelerations cancel each other out, or if there are no accelerations acting on the object at all.