How to find the magnitude of Force from an A vs Mass Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graph displaying acceleration vs mass to find the magnitude of force. The equation F=ma is used, but the units may be incorrect. The correct approach is to multiply the mass in kilograms by the acceleration in m/s^2 to get the answer in Newtons.
Eram Ahmed

Homework Statement

I have attached the graph which displays Acceleration vs Mass. It shows the acceleration of objects of different mass that experience the same force. I need to get the magnitude of the force from this.​

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used F=ma for this but it was incorrect. If anyone can give me the right approach to this problem, it would be really helpful![/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.40.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.40.47 PM.png
    8 KB · Views: 1,792
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be correct. Please show your working.

Perhaps check your units?

From the graph, I multiplied 600m*6m/s^2= 3600 Newtons. But the answer is coming out as wrong.

Eram Ahmed said:
600m*6m/s^2= 3600 Newtons
It's not 600m you're multiplying (m means mass in that context) it's 600g.

Hiero said:
It's not 600m you're multiplying (m means mass in that context) it's 600g.
Yes sorry that was a typo, I meant 600 g. So shouldn't the answer be 3600 Newtons then? F=ma?

Eram Ahmed said:
So shouldn't the answer be 3600 Newtons then?
No, the answer should then be 3600 g⋅m/s2

You could also convert mass from grams to kilograms then multiply by acceleration in m/s2 to get a numerical answer in Newtons.

Related to How to find the magnitude of Force from an A vs Mass Graph

1. How do I interpret an A vs Mass graph?

An A vs Mass graph shows the relationship between acceleration (A) and mass. The slope of the graph indicates the force acting on the object, with a steeper slope representing a larger force. The x-intercept of the graph represents the mass of the object, as it is the point where the acceleration is zero.

2. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of force from an A vs Mass graph?

The formula for finding the magnitude of force from an A vs Mass graph is F = m x a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

3. Can the magnitude of force be negative on an A vs Mass graph?

Yes, the magnitude of force can be negative on an A vs Mass graph. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the acceleration. For example, if an object is slowing down due to friction, the force would be negative as it opposes the direction of motion.

4. How can I use an A vs Mass graph to determine the net force on an object?

To determine the net force on an object using an A vs Mass graph, you can plot the acceleration and mass values of the object and find the slope of the line. The slope represents the net force acting on the object. You can also use the formula F = m x a to calculate the net force.

5. What are some potential sources of error when finding the magnitude of force from an A vs Mass graph?

Some potential sources of error when finding the magnitude of force from an A vs Mass graph include inaccurate measurements of acceleration and mass, friction or air resistance affecting the motion of the object, and human error in plotting the data points or calculating the slope of the graph.