How to find the equation of this tangent?

In summary: The equation of the tangent line at any point (x_0, \sqrt{-x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4}) is y= \frac{1}{2}(-2x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4)^{-1/2}(-4x_0+ 2)(x- x_0)+ \sqrt{-x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4}). Saying that goes through (-2, 0) means that we must have0= \frac{1}{2}(-2x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4)^{-1/2}(-4x_
Jeanclaud
Mod note: Thread moved from Precalc section

Homework Statement

F(x)=sqrt(-2x^2 +2x+4)
1.discuss variation of f and draw (c)
2.find the equation of tangent line to (c) that passes through point A(-2,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved first part I found the domain of definition and f'(x) and I drew (c) but in the second part A does not belong to the domain of definition so i can't use f'(x) what should i do? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeanclaud said:
I solved first part I found the domain of definition and f'(x) and I drew (c) but in the second part A does not belong to the domain of definition so i can't use f'(x) what should i do? Please help.
What is the equation of a line that is tangent to the curve at x?

haruspex said:
What is the equation of a line that is tangent to the curve at x?
Y=f'(a)(x-a)+f(a) at point of abscissa a

Jeanclaud said:
Y=f'(a)(x-a)+f(a) at point of abscissa a
Right. So substitute for f and f' in there. Plug in the fact that this tangent is to pass through A. What equation does that give you?

haruspex, that is not Jeanclaude's point. -2x^2+ 2x+ 4= -2(x+ 1)(x- 2) is positive only for x between -1 and 2. It is negative for al x< -1 and so [itex]\sqrt{-2x^2+ 2x+ 4}[/itex] does NOT EXIST for x< -1 and, in particular, at x= -2.

Jeanclaude, the fact that -2 is not in the domain means there is NO function value at x= -2 so no graph there and NO tangent line

The wording of this problem is a little tricky.

1. f(x) certainly doesn't exist at point A.
2. The problem statement asks for the equation of a line tangent to f(x) which passes thru point A. It does not specify that the line is tangent to f(x) at point A, merely that the tangent line must pass thru this point and be tangent to f(x) at some other unspecified point.

Likes Jeanclaud
Oh, right, I misread the problem. Thanks, SteamKing.

The derivative of F is [itex]\frac{1}{2}(-2x^2+ 2x+ 4)^{-1/2}(-4x+ 2)[/itex]. The equation of the tangent line at any point [itex](x_0, \sqrt{-x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4})[/itex] is [itex]y= \frac{1}{2}(-2x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4)^{-1/2}(-4x_0+ 2)(x- x_0)+ \sqrt{-x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4})[/itex]. Saying that goes through (-2, 0) means that we must have
[tex]0= \frac{1}{2}(-2x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4)^{-1/2}(-4x_0+ 2)(-2- x_0)+ \sqrt{-x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 4})[/tex]
Solve that equation for [itex]x_0[/itex].

Likes Jeanclaud
HallsofIvy said:
haruspex, that is not Jeanclaude's point. -2x^2+ 2x+ 4= -2(x+ 1)(x- 2) is positive only for x between -1 and 2. It is negative for al x< -1 and so [itex]\sqrt{-2x^2+ 2x+ 4}[/itex] does NOT EXIST for x< -1 and, in particular, at x= -2.

Jeanclaude, the fact that -2 is not in the domain means there is NO function value at x= -2 so no graph there and NO tangent line
Funny, I thought perhaps JC had misread the question that way, but then just decided he didn't know how to find a tangent through a point that is not on the curve. Thank you SteamKing for covering the misreading option.

Jeanclaud said:
Mod note: Thread moved from Precalc section

Homework Statement

F(x)=sqrt(-2x^2 +2x+4)
1.discuss variation of f and draw (c)
2.find the equation of tangent line to (c) that passes through point A(-2,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

The point A is on a tangent line to the curve ##y = F(x)##; it need not be in the domain of definition of ##F##. In other words, nobody is saying that we want the tangent at the point ##x = -2##; they are just saying that the line which is tangent to the curve at some point should also pass through the point A = (-2,0).

Likes Jeanclaud

Related to How to find the equation of this tangent?

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do I determine the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line can be determined by finding the slope of the curve at a given point, and using that slope and the coordinates of the point to write the equation in point-slope form.

3. What information do I need to find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you will need the coordinates of the point at which the tangent line touches the curve, as well as the slope of the curve at that point.

4. Can I find the equation of a tangent line without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to find the equation of a tangent line without using calculus. This can be done using the slope formula or the formula for the derivative of a function.

5. How can I use the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line can be used to calculate the slope of the curve at a given point, as well as to approximate the value of the function at that point. It can also be used to determine the behavior of the curve near that point.