How to find the elements of a subgroup?

In summary, determining the elements of a group based on a given subgroup and its order can be a challenging task as there is no general method. However, there are certain special cases where the elements can be determined, such as with cyclic groups or groups of a specific order. It is important to consider the structure and properties of the group in order to find its elements.
golmschenk
If you have a subgroup and it's order how do you find the elements of the group? I'd be happy with any example to help explain this, but just so there's something to go off of my example would be if you have a subgroup A4 = <(1 2 3), (1 2)(3 4)> of S4 that has an order of 12 how do you find it's elements? Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just knowing the order won't tell you the elements in general; for instance, Q8 (the quaternions) has three different order-four subgroups, <i>, <j>, and <k>. So if all you're given is a group and the order of a subgroup, and you're expected to find the elements, then it must be the case that only one subgroup of the given order exists.

golmschenk said:
If you have a subgroup and it's order how do you find the elements of the group? I'd be happy with any example to help explain this, but just so there's something to go off of my example would be if you have a subgroup A4 = <(1 2 3), (1 2)(3 4)> of S4 that has an order of 12 how do you find it's elements? Thanks for your time!

There is no general way to do this as far as I know. However, there are many special cases where you can determine all the elements. In particular, A4 is the subgroup of even cycles, so you can just write down the 12 even cycles of S4. Other techniques:

1) If your group G is cyclic, this is trivial since G = { 1, x, x^2, x^3, ... }

2) If G is a group of order pq (where p and q are primes), and G has only 1 subgroup H of order p and only 1 subgroup K of order q, and the intersection of H and K is just the identity, then G is a cyclic group.

etc.

Basically, it boils down to whether or not you have a special case of certain types of groups. I have only barely scratched the surface with the two cases listed above. Generally, there really is no general method (I know of) for listing all elements of a group when only given a group G and one subgroup H.

Related to How to find the elements of a subgroup?

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that shares the same operation as the larger group. This means that the elements in a subgroup can be combined using the same operation to produce another element in the subgroup.

2. How do you determine if an element is in a subgroup?

To determine if an element is in a subgroup, you can check if the element satisfies the closure property. This means that when you combine the element with any other element in the subgroup using the same operation, the result will also be in the subgroup. Additionally, the identity element and inverse element of the subgroup should also be in the subgroup.

3. What is the order of a subgroup?

The order of a subgroup is the number of elements in the subgroup. This can be determined by counting the number of elements in the subgroup or by using Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the larger group.

4. How do you find the identity element of a subgroup?

The identity element of a subgroup can be found by looking for the element that, when combined with any other element in the subgroup using the same operation, produces the other element. In other words, the identity element will not change the other element when combined with it.

5. What is the significance of finding the elements of a subgroup?

Finding the elements of a subgroup is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a larger group. Subgroups can also be used to simplify complex problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.