How to find the charge density given by a Tricky Potential?

In summary, the student attempted to solve Problem 2.45 in Electrodynamics by Griffiths, however they got a different answer than what is given in the book. They are suspecting they may have gotten a missing step, but they were unable to find it.
flux!

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve Problem 2.45 in Electrodynamics by Griffiths, however, my answers were different from those in the book, I am suspect I got a missing step but I could not find it, so here is the Given Problem

Find the charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] given by a potential [tex]V=A\frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex] where [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are constant.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=-\nabla V[/tex] [tex]\nabla\cdot E = \frac{\rho}{\varepsilon_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did is, first, find for the E-field using: [tex]E=-\nabla V,[/tex] so [tex]E=-\hat{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r} A\frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}[/tex] by employing chain rule, the E-field is now given by [tex]E= A\lambda\frac{ e^{-\lambda r}}{r}\hat{r}+A\frac{ e^{-\lambda r}}{r^2}\hat{r}.[/tex]

Now, the charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] can be obtained thru [tex] \rho=\varepsilon_0\nabla\cdot E,[/tex] substituting the E-field to the equation, we will get [tex] \rho=\varepsilon_0\nabla\cdot \left [A\lambda\frac{ e^{-\lambda r}}{r}\hat{r}+A\frac{ e^{-\lambda r}}{r^2}\hat{r} \right ],[/tex] evaluating again using chain rule, we will get [tex]\rho=\varepsilon_0 \left [A\lambda e^{-\lambda r}\nabla\cdot\frac{\hat{r}}{r} +\frac{1}{r}\left( \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial }{\partial r} r^2 A\lambda e^{-\lambda r} \right ) + A\lambda e^{-\lambda r}\nabla\cdot\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} +\frac{1}{r^2} \left( \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial }{\partial r} r^2 A e^{-\lambda r} \right ) \right ],[/tex] this will eventually become a bit more messy but the charge density will become [tex]\rho=A \varepsilon_0 e^{-\lambda r} [ 4\pi \delta^{3}(\mathbf{r})-\frac{\lambda^2}{r} ][/tex] however, this a bit different from Griffiths' answer of [tex]\rho=A \varepsilon_0 [ 4\pi \delta^{3}(\mathbf{r})-\frac{\lambda^2 e^{-\lambda r}}{r}][/tex]

where did I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the delta function property ##f(x)\delta(x) = f(0)\delta(x)##.

OMG! That was just the best!

Related to How to find the charge density given by a Tricky Potential?

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a given region. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ (rho) and has units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

2. How is charge density related to electric potential?

The charge density at a point is determined by the electric potential at that point. Specifically, the charge density is proportional to the gradient of the electric potential, with a constant of proportionality known as the permittivity of free space.

3. What is a Tricky Potential?

A Tricky Potential refers to a potential energy function that is not easily expressed in terms of a simple mathematical formula. This can make it challenging to determine the charge density given by the potential, as it may require advanced mathematical techniques or numerical methods.

4. How do I find the charge density given by a Tricky Potential?

The best approach for finding the charge density given by a Tricky Potential is to use the fundamental relationship between charge density and electric potential. This involves taking the gradient of the potential function and multiplying it by the permittivity of free space. Depending on the complexity of the potential, this may require using numerical methods or advanced mathematical techniques such as multivariate calculus.

5. Can I use a computer program to find the charge density from a Tricky Potential?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can help with finding the charge density given by a Tricky Potential. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to solve complicated equations and accurately calculate the charge density at different points. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and equations involved in order to properly interpret and use the results from these programs.