How to find moment at a certain point?

In summary: You then need to add the moment of all three forces to get the total moment about point A. In summary, the total moment about point A for the given force system can be calculated by resolving each force into horizontal and vertical components, and then multiplying each component by its respective perpendicular distance to point A. The resulting moments can then be added to find the total moment about point A.
SagarPatil
upload_2015-2-16_16-18-34.png

I have tired it multiple times but I keep getting 228, 12 ,-8N

How do in what direction the force is moving? clockwise or counter clockwise?

What to do with the 20 N in the y comp?

In the book it says if it moves clockwise its negative and if it moves counter clock wise its negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry dude. I can't read your question. Can you possibly type in the actual text? Or do a better picture?

As some background that may help. Or not. Torque is a (pseudo) vector. That means it has a magnitude and direction. You usually have a rule that tells you if the vector points "this way" then it is "clockwise." Usually it is called something like "the right hand rule" where you put your thumb in the direction of the vector and your fingers then point the way the torque will be turning the thing.

Torque from a force applied at a distance from a turning point is usually defined as a cross product. So it takes into account the distance from the centre, the magnitude of the force, and the relative angles of the distance from the centre and the force.

Torque will add as a vector.

Anyone?

The moment of a force about a point = force x perpendicular distance to the line of action of the force

There are 3 forces here. I was expecting to see among your calculations 20 x 4, attributable to the 20N force, but I don't. I haven't figured out what you've done. Maybe you can explain?

I will explain one 60 Lb one, reset are the same.

So first I found how much force was going in the x component and the y component.

60*4/5=48 in the Y comp
60*3/5=36 in the X comp

In the Y comp, it is going 1 meter up, so I did 1*48 = 48N
Then in the X component, it is going 2 meters to the right, so I did 36*2 = 72N

So the 60N force has 48 N in the y-comp and 72N in the x component.

I did the same thing for the other componentsFor the 20N component I did (-20*3) + (20*4) = 20NWhen I add all the components it gives me 24N which is wrong.

I hope you understand.

SagarPatil said:
I will explain one 60 Lb one, reset are the same.

So first I found how much force was going in the x component and the y component.

60*4/5=48 in the Y comp
60*3/5=36 in the X comp

In the Y comp, it is going 1 meter up, so I did 1*48 = 48N
Then in the X component, it is going 2 meters to the right, so I did 36*2 = 72N
The last two lines above are wrong, you are multiplying by the wrong distances. After you resolve the force into horizontal and vertical components, you should then multiply by the perpendicular distance to the line of action of each component. This means you multiply the x-component by the vertical distance to point A, and the y-component by the horizontal distance.

The result of this product has units of Newton metres.

Related to How to find moment at a certain point?

1. What is the definition of moment at a certain point?

The moment at a certain point is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around that point. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance between the point and the line of action of the force.

2. How do you calculate the moment at a certain point?

The moment at a certain point can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. This is represented by the formula M = F * d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance.

3. What are the units of moment at a certain point?

The SI unit for moment is Newton-meter (N*m). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as foot-pound (ft*lb) or kilogram-meter (kg*m).

4. Can the moment at a certain point be negative?

Yes, the moment at a certain point can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of rotation. This can happen when the force is acting in a clockwise direction and the point is rotating counterclockwise, or vice versa.

5. How is the moment at a certain point used in engineering and physics?

The concept of moment at a certain point is used in many applications in engineering and physics. It is essential in understanding the stability of structures, analyzing the motion of objects, and designing machines and mechanisms. It also plays a crucial role in calculating torque, which is important in the study of rotational motion.