How to Find ∂L/∂q: A Simple Guide for Calculating Lagrangian Equations

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the equation \frac{∂L}{∂q}=\dot{p} holds because the Lagrangian, L, only depends on the general coordinate, q, through the potential energy, U. The canonical momentum, p, is defined as \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}, and for a coordinate to have translational symmetry, the momentum conjugate to that coordinate, p, must be constant.
iScience
hi, silly question but would someone please show me how [itex]\frac{∂L}{∂q}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{p}[/itex]?

L being the lagrangian, p being the momentum, and q being the general coordinate.

Physics news on Phys.org
(i hope this doesn't qualify as a homework question this actually has nothing to do with my homework.. I'm just trying to derive the hamiltonian equation and this was just part of the steps)

iScience said:
please show me how [itex]\frac{∂L}{∂q}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{p}[/itex]?

[itex]\frac{∂L}{∂q}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{p}[/itex] because the Lagrangian, L=T-U, depends on q only in the potential energy, U.

[itex]-\frac{∂U}{∂q}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{p}[/itex] is Newton's 2nd law of motion expressed in terms of the potential.

thanks!

also, i had another question i hope i can just ask it in the same thread; if not let me know (moderators/admins) and i'll just make a new thread.

how do i know when there is translational symmetry? in other words what quantity has to be zero?

You want p=constant (p-dot = 0) for the momentum conjugate to that coordinate.

"momentum that is conjugate to that coordinate" meaning just the momentum corresponding to the particular coordinate at hand right? (just checking)

The canonical momentum of the generalized coordinate [itex]q[/itex] is by definition given by
[tex]p=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}.[/tex]
It's important to keep in mind that also for a Cartesian coordinate it is the canonical and not necessarily the mechanical momentum. An interesting example for that both need not be the same is the motion of a particle in a magnetic field.

Related to How to Find ∂L/∂q: A Simple Guide for Calculating Lagrangian Equations

What is a simple Lagrangian equation?

A simple Lagrangian equation is an equation used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system with multiple particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system can be described by minimizing the action of the system. The equation is derived from the Lagrangian function, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

How is a simple Lagrangian equation used in physics?

A simple Lagrangian equation can be used to analyze the motion of a system with multiple particles and to predict their future positions and velocities. It is commonly used in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows for a more efficient and elegant approach to solving complex problems compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.

What are the advantages of using a simple Lagrangian equation?

There are several advantages to using a simple Lagrangian equation in physics. Firstly, it provides a more elegant and concise way of describing the motion of a system compared to traditional methods. It also takes into account all the forces acting on the system, making it a more accurate and comprehensive approach. Additionally, it allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify calculations and make the analysis of complex systems more manageable.

What are the limitations of a simple Lagrangian equation?

A simple Lagrangian equation is limited in its applicability to classical systems, as it does not take into account relativistic effects or quantum mechanics. It also assumes that the system is conservative, meaning there are no dissipative forces such as friction. Finally, it requires a thorough understanding of the Lagrangian function and its application, which can be challenging for some students and researchers.

Can a simple Lagrangian equation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, a simple Lagrangian equation has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to analyze the motion of celestial bodies, model the behavior of particles in accelerators, and design complex mechanical systems. Its accuracy and efficiency make it a valuable tool in various industries and research fields.