How to find electric potential given only velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in electric potential using the given velocity of 4.8×10^5 m/s. The equation ΔV = Vf-Vi = -W/q can be used, where W is the work done on the electron and q is its charge. The problem is simplified by considering the units of energy in electron Volts and the expression for the kinetic energy of a moving electron.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

Given v = v=4.8×105m/s find the change in electric potential.

Homework Equations

ΔV = Vf-Vi = -W/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know any other formula that has the use of velocity to find ΔV. So how does velocity end up into the mix in finding ΔV?

Physics news on Phys.org
There has to be more to the given problem than what you've written. A velocity alone says nothing about what the scenario is. What is the complete problem statement?

gneill said:
There has to be more to the given problem than what you've written. A velocity alone says nothing about what the scenario is. What is the complete problem statement?
Here is a picture.
upload_2017-2-14_19-6-10.png

jlmccart03 said:

Homework Statement

Given v = v=4.8×105m/s find the change in electric potential.

Homework Equations

ΔV = Vf-Vi = -W/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know any other formula that has the use of velocity to find ΔV. So how does velocity end up into the mix in finding ΔV?
Whelp, that post didn't go so well.

It's good to know that v=v, that's always a good start... :smile:

A potential difference produces an accelerating force on a charged particle, not just a "velocity" in isolation. There needs to be a lot more to this question that you haven't posted so far?

EDIT -- gneill beat me to it (again)...

Likes gneill
jlmccart03 said:
Here is a picture.View attachment 113222
Oh, that's a lot easier. What do you know about the units of energy "eV" (electron Volts) and how you express the kinetic energy of a moving electron...?

berkeman said:
Oh, that's a lot easier. What do you know about the units of energy "eV" (electron Volts) and how you express the kinetic energy of a moving electron...?
Well units of energy eV is 1.6*10^-19 J and KE = 1/2mv^2 for an electron.

Related to How to find electric potential given only velocity

1. How do I calculate electric potential using velocity?

To calculate electric potential using only velocity, you will need to use the formula V = mgh/q, where V is the electric potential, m is the mass of the charged particle, g is the gravitational acceleration, h is the height of the particle, and q is the charge of the particle. You will also need to know the direction of the electric field and the direction of the velocity.

2. Can I find electric potential without knowing the charge of the particle?

No, you cannot find electric potential without knowing the charge of the particle. The charge of the particle is a crucial factor in determining the electric potential, as seen in the formula V = mgh/q.

3. What units are used for electric potential?

Electric potential is typically measured in volts (V). However, it can also be measured in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

4. How does the velocity of a charged particle affect the electric potential?

The velocity of a charged particle affects the electric potential by determining the kinetic energy of the particle. As the particle moves with a certain velocity in an electric field, it gains or loses kinetic energy, which in turn affects the electric potential.

5. Can I find electric potential if I only know the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

No, you cannot find electric potential if you only know the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field. Electric potential and magnetic fields are two separate phenomena and cannot be directly related without additional information.