How to find cases of overlap/not in overlap , mathematically

• Thread starter rajemessage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Overlap
In summary: Exclusion Principle and states that variables cannot be in the same state, which is why it is called the Principle of Exclusion.x=y and a<=b: this is called the Exclusion Principle and states that variables cannot be in the same state, which is why it is called the Principle of Exclusion.x<=y and a>=b: this is called the Inclusion Principle and states that variables can be in the same state.x<=y and a>=b: this is called the Inclusion Principle and states that variables can be in the same state.In summary, there are six possible states that variables can be in.
rajemessage
hi,

I have four variables (x and y),(a and b). i want to find out number of state which these variables can attain.

Example :
1) x=2 ,y =5 , a= 0 , b=2 ( that is a and b is less than x and y)
2) x=2 ,y =5 , a= 0 , b=2 ( that is a is less than x and b equal to x)
3) x=2 ,y =5 , a= 0 , b=3 ( that is a is less than x and b greater than x and less than y)
4) x=2 ,y =5 , a= 3 , b=4 ( that is a and be is in side x and y)
etc.
etc.
q1) is there any mathematical way to find all cases/state?

yours sincerley

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is. First of all, two variables can be in one of three states: x<y, x=y, x>y. This is called the Law of Trichotomy. Next, considering that we have four variables, how many relationships are there? Well, I count 6: x and y, x and a, x and b, y and a, y and b, a and b. There are six relationships, and each relationship can be one of three possibilities. So how many total possibilities are there?

Ackbach said:
how many relationships are there? Well, I count 6: x and y, x and a, x and b, y and a, y and b, a and b. There are six relationships, and each relationship can be one of three possibilities.
I don't think all $3^6$ possibilities are realized. For example, if $x<y$ and $a<x$, then it can't be that $y<a$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I don't think all $3^6$ possibilities are realized. For example, if $x<y$ and $a<x$, then it can't be that $y<a$.

Absolutely! I do think this is the place to start, though. You could list out those $729$ possibilities (quite a chore, really), and check each one for consistency. Hmm. Is there an easier way, do you think?

Ackbach said:
I do think this is the place to start, though.
Frankly, I don't see how to use the idea that there are six pairs of variables, and each of them can be of at most three types. I may be missing something, though.

Ackbach said:
There is. First of all, two variables can be in one of three states: x<y, x=y, x>y. This is called the Law of Trichotomy. Next, considering that we have four variables, how many relationships are there? Well, I count 6: x and y, x and a, x and b, y and a, y and b, a and b. There are six relationships, and each relationship can be one of three possibilities. So how many total possibilities are there?

x<=y and a<=b

Related to How to find cases of overlap/not in overlap , mathematically

1. How do I determine if two sets of data have an overlap?

To determine if two sets of data have an overlap, you can use the set intersection operation. If the intersection of the two sets is not empty, then there is an overlap between them.

2. What is the mathematical formula for finding cases of overlap?

The mathematical formula for finding cases of overlap is:
Overlap = (Total number of elements in set A + Total number of elements in set B) - Total number of unique elements in both sets

3. How can I visualize cases of overlap between multiple sets?

One way to visualize cases of overlap between multiple sets is by using a Venn diagram. Each set is represented by a circle, and the overlapping regions represent the elements that are common to those sets.

4. Is there a difference between partial overlap and complete overlap?

Yes, there is a difference between partial overlap and complete overlap. Partial overlap means that some elements are common to both sets, while others are unique. Complete overlap means that all elements in one set are also present in the other set.

5. How can I use mathematical tools to identify cases of not in overlap?

To identify cases of not in overlap, you can use the set difference operation. This will give you the elements that are present in one set but not in the other. If the result is an empty set, then there is no not in overlap between the two sets.