How to Estimate Tensile Force on a Pre-Tensioned Rope?

In summary, a force applied perpendicularly to a pre-tensioned rope can develop a huge mechanical advantage regarding the pulling tension of that rope.
Glype11
I figure that there is a connection with how much a given forces displaces the rope in the perpendicularly direction. Obviously the more tension on the rope then there will be less displacement with a given force. I'm not sure how to progress from that point.

Any other ideas on how to estimate the amount the force for a rope in tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
Glype11 said:
I figure that there is a connection with how much a given forces displaces the rope in the perpendicularly direction. Obviously the more tension on the rope then there will be less displacement with a given force.
I guess you mean "the more pre-tension ...", because the final tension will be greater with more displacement.
Glype11 said:
I'm not sure how to progress from that point.
You have to assume some elasticity model of the rope like Hooke's Law and draw a force vector diagram.

Likes etotheipi
When you say perpendicular direction, are you thinking of a case like plucking a guitar string?

A.T. said:
I guess you mean "the more pre-tension ...", because the final tension will be greater with more displacement.
You have to assume some elasticity model of the rope like Hooke's Law and draw a force vector diagram.
A simple model would be one where the pretension is large relative to the increase in tension due to a small lateral displacement -- assume that tension is unchanged. Then all you have to deal with is trigonometry.

Likes Glype11, Chestermiller and etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
A simple model would be one where the pretension is large relative to the increase in tension due to a small lateral displacement -- assume that tension is unchanged. Then all you have to deal with is trigonometry.
Simple model indeed. I overlooked it.

A force that is perpendicularly applied to a pre-tensioned rope can develop a huge mechanical advantage regarding the pulling tension of that rope.
Pulling vehicles out of mud pits using a rope attached to a tree is a known technique.

Please, see applicable examples and calculations:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/s...-6-common-forces/#CNX_UPhysics_05_06_StuckCar

Here you can see how the Hooke’s law applies to ropes:
https://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/m...ing/Belaying/ProblemSpringConstantOfARope.pdf

:cool:

Related to How to Estimate Tensile Force on a Pre-Tensioned Rope?

1. What is tensile force?

Tensile force is a measure of the pulling or stretching force applied to a material. It is typically expressed in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lb).

2. How is tensile force calculated?

Tensile force is calculated by dividing the applied force (in N or lb) by the cross-sectional area of the material being pulled or stretched. This calculation results in the tensile stress, which is often represented by the symbol σ (sigma).

3. What factors affect the accuracy of tensile force estimates?

The accuracy of tensile force estimates can be affected by several factors, including the type of material, the testing equipment and method used, and any external factors that may impact the material's behavior (such as temperature or humidity).

4. How can tensile force be measured in real-world applications?

Tensile force can be measured using specialized equipment such as a tensile testing machine, which applies a controlled pulling force to a material until it reaches its breaking point. In real-world applications, tensile force can also be estimated by using mathematical models and simulations based on the material's properties.

5. Why is it important to accurately estimate tensile force?

Accurately estimating tensile force is crucial in many industries, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It allows for the selection of appropriate materials and designs that can withstand the expected forces and stresses, ensuring the safety and reliability of structures and products.