How to determine shape of surface of a fluid?

In summary, the surface of a fluid is always perpendicular to the net force acting on it, specifically the net external force (excluding forces from the fluid itself) in the frame of reference of the container it is kept in. This statement applies only to fluid statics, where there is no relative motion between the container and the fluid. In the case of a fluid in a vessel at rest, the surface of the fluid remains horizontal even when the net force acting on it is zero, due to the normal force from the container having no influence on the surface. When the fluid is given horizontal acceleration, the surface becomes diagonal, not vertical, due to the external forces by the wall influencing the shape of the fluid. Additionally, the Young-Lap
SurajBahuguna
I have been told by my teacher that the surface of a fluid is always perpendicular to the net force acting on it. The reason being a fluid can not withstand tangential stress and if a shear stress is applied to it, it will slip until the surface becomes perendicular to the net force. So my question is why the surface of water is horizontal in a vessl at rest even when the net force acting on it is zero? Also why does it become diagonal(and not vertical) when it is given some horizontal accleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
SurajBahuguna said:
I have been told by my teacher that the surface of a fluid is always perpendicular to the net force acting on it.
I guess he meant net external force (forces from the fluid itself excluded) acting on the fluid at the surface.

Likes SurajBahuguna
I differ in perceiving the statement your teacher gave. The surface of the fluid is always perpendicular to the net "external" (actual plus inertial) force acting on the surface in the frame of reference of the container in which it is kept.

Likes SurajBahuguna
A.T. said:
I guess he meant net external force (forces from the fluid itself excluded) acting on the fluid at the surface.
Thanks for your reply. Does that mean the normal force acting on the fluid due to the container(which is equal in magnitude to the weight of fluid) has to be ignored because it does not have any influence on the surface of the fluid?

SurajBahuguna said:
Does that mean the normal force acting on the fluid due to the container(which is equal in magnitude to the weight of fluid) has to be ignored because it does not have any influence on the surface of the fluid?
The external forces by the wall influence the shape of the fluid at the wall.

SurajBahuguna said:
I have been told by my teacher that the surface of a fluid is always perpendicular to the net force acting on it. The reason being a fluid can not withstand tangential stress and if a shear stress is applied to it, it will slip until the surface becomes perendicular to the net force. So my question is why the surface of water is horizontal in a vessl at rest even when the net force acting on it is zero? Also why does it become diagonal(and not vertical) when it is given some horizontal accleration?

To the thread title, the shape of a fluid-fluid boundary is given by the Young-Laplace equation ΔP = γ ∇⋅n, that is to say the local curvature is equal to the pressure jump across the interface. This equation can be modified at a three-phase line (generalized theory of capillarity, principally by Neumann).

http://www.crcnetbase.com/doi/abs/10.1201/EBK0849396878-2

Regarding your question about fluid in a bucket, "Newton's bucket" is a delightful problem to consider as it leads, per Mach, directly to general relativity.

I guess you are talking about free surfaces here, and moreover, free surfaces over which no air (or other liquid or gas) is blowing. Solid surfaces are certainly able to exert shear stresses on fluids. How else could you have a pressure drop in flow through a tube of constant cross section? Also, if air (or other fluid or gas) is blowing over the free surface, it certainly exerts a shear stress on the fluid at the interface.

Chet

A.T. said:
Agreed!
Example :
If a fluid say water is put in a plastic cup and the cup is squeezed, the shape of fluid changes. Because of the force put by the hand used to squeeze cup. Here the net force of hand and gravity can be considered. :)

Vatsal Sanjay said:
I differ in perceiving the statement your teacher gave. The surface of the fluid is always perpendicular to the net "external" (actual plus inertial) force acting on the surface in the frame of reference of the container in which it is kept.
The external force (per unit area) acting on the free surface of a fluid is not always perpendicular to the surface. Suppose I have a shallow bowl of water filled to the brim, and I put it in a wind tunnel that blows air in the direction tangent to the surface. According to your statement, no water will blow out of the bowl, and the water surface will feel the same force per unit area as if no air were blowing.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The external force (per unit area) acting on the free surface of a fluid is not always perpendicular to the surface.
I agree. You are correct. I will reframe my statement. Whatever I said is true only for fluid statics, that is when there is no relative motion between the container and the fluid kept in it.

Related to How to determine shape of surface of a fluid?

1. How do you measure the shape of a fluid surface?

The shape of a fluid surface can be measured using a variety of methods, including laser or optical methods, pressure sensors, and surface tension techniques. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific properties and behavior of the fluid being studied.

2. What factors affect the shape of a fluid surface?

The shape of a fluid surface is influenced by a variety of factors, including the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and surface tension), the container or vessel in which the fluid is contained, and external forces such as gravity and surface tension gradients. Temperature and pressure can also impact the shape of a fluid surface.

3. Can the shape of a fluid surface change over time?

Yes, the shape of a fluid surface can change over time due to a variety of factors. For example, if the container is tilted or rotated, the shape of the fluid surface will change accordingly. Additionally, external forces such as wind or vibrations can also cause the surface to change shape.

4. How does surface tension affect the shape of a fluid surface?

Surface tension plays a significant role in determining the shape of a fluid surface. It is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a stretched elastic membrane, and it is responsible for the formation of droplets, bubbles, and other shapes on the surface of a fluid.

5. What is the significance of determining the shape of a fluid surface?

Determining the shape of a fluid surface is important for understanding the behavior and properties of fluids in various applications, such as in industrial processes, medical procedures, and environmental studies. It can also provide insights into the underlying physics and chemistry of fluids, and inform the design of new technologies and products.