How to Determine Normalization Factor for Wavefunction with Exponential Decay?

In summary, the student is trying to find a normalization value for a wavefunction, but is having trouble with the integral. They try an online integrator and get a horrendous answer, so they think they are doing something wrong. They eventually find a technique that works and get the normalization value.
raintrek

Homework Statement

I'm trying to determine a normalization value, A, for the following wavefunction:

[tex]\Psi = Ax{^2}exp(-\alpha x)}, x>0[/tex]
[tex]\Psi = 0, x<0[/tex]

In the past, I've had an i term in my exponential, so when applying the Normalization Condition:

[tex]\int|\Psi(x)|^2 dx = \int\Psi{^*}(x) \Psi(x) dx[/tex]

the exponentials always multiply to equal one, leaving me with an easy route to getting the normalization factor.

However in this case, I'm left with the following integral:

[tex]\int|\Psi(x)|^2 dx = \int A{^2}x{^4}exp(-2\alpha x)} dx[/tex]

...which seems horrible!

Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong here? I'm sure there's a simpler way...

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks OK.

Have you ever seen tabular integration by parts?

No, you're doing in the right way. Just do your integral by parts now.

You can use the gamma function to do it faster.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
This looks OK.

Have you ever seen tabular integration by parts?

Never...

I tried it in an online integrator and got a horrendous answer so assumed I'd gone drastically wrong somewhere...

raintrek said:
Never...

I tried (maybe not very successfully) to explain it http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.math/msg/ebd6104dfcc6263c?dmode=source".

I tried it in an online integrator and got a horrendous answer so assumed I'd gone drastically wrong somewhere...

Most of the terms will be zero; remember, as [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex], an exponential dominates any power of [itex]x[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I think I've followed that George Jones;

[tex]\int|\Psi(x)|^2 dx = \int A{^2}x{^4}exp(-2\alpha x)} dx[/tex]

Which, using your method, I get to be:

[tex]exp(-2\alpha x) \left(-\frac{x{^4}}{2\alpha} + \frac{x{^3}}{\alpha{^2}} - \frac{3x{^2}}{2\alpha{^3}} + \frac{3x}{2\alpha{^4}} - \frac{3}{4\alpha{^5}} \right)[/tex]

Which I *think* leads to [tex]\frac{3A{^2}}{4\alpha{^5}} = 1[/tex] or [tex]A = \sqrt{4/3}\alpha{^\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

Would someone be able to verify that? I'm paranoid about this being wrong now!

Seems good, from my calculation, as I arrive, too, at
[itex]1=\frac{3A^2}{4\alpha ^5}[/itex]

by two differents methods (that is, by the use of the gamma function and with the long method of integration by parts).

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for your help George Jones and Erythro73!

That technique is awesome - I'll definitely be using it again!

Related to How to Determine Normalization Factor for Wavefunction with Exponential Decay?

What is wavefunction normalization?

Wavefunction normalization is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is equal to 1. It is a way of standardizing the wavefunction so that it accurately represents the physical reality of a particle.

Why is wavefunction normalization important?

Wavefunction normalization is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state. Without normalization, the wavefunction would not accurately represent the physical reality of a particle, making it impossible to make accurate predictions and calculations.

How is wavefunction normalization performed?

Wavefunction normalization is performed by taking the square root of the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is equal to 1.

What happens if a wavefunction is not normalized?

If a wavefunction is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states does not equal 1. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.

Is wavefunction normalization always necessary?

Yes, wavefunction normalization is always necessary in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental concept that ensures the mathematical representation of a particle accurately reflects its physical reality. Failing to normalize the wavefunction can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions.