How to determine how many areas there are between two functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two functions with two given x-values for boundaries. The goal was to find the area between the functions, but due to not considering the areas not in both functions, the answer would have been incorrect. The conversation also brings up the question of how to determine if the problem is asking for all the areas or just the area between the two functions. To solve the problem, one must find the points of intersection and divide the area into three separate intervals, integrating the difference between the functions for each interval and adding the values together to get the final answer.
hatelove
I was given a problem with two functions and two x-values for boundaries, so I found the points of intersection (there were two) and attempted to find the area between those functions, but I didn't get to finish. In any case, I would have gotten it wrong, because when graph the two functions and then look at the boundaries, there are 3 separate areas that needed to be added up. I just thought it was another problem with a parabolic curve and a line going through it, and there was only one area in between them, but it was asking me to also include the areas that were not in both functions, i.e.

N7QsZ.png

Without a graphing utility and short of graphing both functions very accurately to tell this, is there any other way to see that this is what the question was asking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
daigo said:
I was given a problem with two functions and two x-values for boundaries, so I found the points of intersection (there were two) and attempted to find the area between those functions, but I didn't get to finish. In any case, I would have gotten it wrong, because when graph the two functions and then look at the boundaries, there are 3 separate areas that needed to be added up. I just thought it was another problem with a parabolic curve and a line going through it, and there was only one area in between them, but it was asking me to also include the areas that were not in both functions, i.e.

<snip>

Without a graphing utility and short of graphing both functions very accurately to tell this, is there any other way to see that this is what the question was asking for?

What's the actual question? I'm trying to think it through but it'll be easier with a real example.

I don't remember it, but I will try to find one or some up with my own, hold on

y = x + 10 and y = x^2 + 5, find the area between x = -7 and x = 6

daigo said:

First step is find where they intersect.

Well I know that, set them equal to each other and it's a couple of irrational numbers (sorry I didn't come up with a cleaner problem; I just picked random numbers instead of multiplying factors), and then I just assume that it's one area and use the integral formula for finding the area of that. I have no idea it's 3 different areas, and would not be able to tell without looking at the exact graph and shading in areas.

In my mind, I am thinking:

7JMY8.png

Well let's call these solutions a and b, where a < b. Now graphing the functions you will see one is greater than the other between the intervals (-7 and a), (a,b) & (b,6). Integrate the difference of the functions between these intervals subtracting the lesser function from the greater on each individual interval.

edit: too slow :(

daigo said:

They meet at: $x = \dfrac{1\pm\sqrt{21}}{2}$.

Let $\alpha = \dfrac{1}{2}(1-\sqrt{21}) \text{ and } \beta = \dfrac{1}{2}(1+\sqrt{21})$

Let $f(x) = x+10$ and $g(x) = x^2+5$. Work out the points at the lower and upper bounds so we know which order to subtract the integral from (so we don't have a negative answer)
  • $f(-7) = ?$
  • $ f(6) = ?$
  • $g(-7) = ?$
  • $g(6) = ?$

You want to find the area under g(x) between the lower bound (x=-7) and the negative intersection to the x-axis. If you do the same for f(x) between the same two limits then you can subtract the area under f(x) from the area under g(x).

$\displaystyle \int^{-7}_{\alpha} g(x)dx - \int^{-7}_{\alpha}f(x)dx$

i.e. $\displaystyle \int^{-7}_{\alpha} (x^2+5)dx - \int^{-7}_{\alpha}(x+10)dx$

Then you do it between the points of intersection as you know how

You then do the same thing for the area between the positive intersection and the upper bound
$\displaystyle \int^{6}_{\beta} g(x)dx - \int^{6}_{\beta}f(x)dx$

i.e. $\displaystyle \int^{6}_{\beta} (x^2+5)dx - \int^{6}_{\beta}(x+10)dx$

Then you add all three values to get the final answer.

Related to How to determine how many areas there are between two functions

1. How do you define the areas between two functions?

The areas between two functions are defined as the regions that lie between the two curves on a graph. These regions can be either positive or negative depending on the position of the curves in relation to each other.

2. What is the purpose of determining the areas between two functions?

The purpose of determining the areas between two functions is to calculate the total area of the enclosed region, which can have practical applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. What methods can be used to determine the areas between two functions?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the areas between two functions, such as the Riemann sum, integration, and graphical approximation methods.

4. How do you use integration to determine the areas between two functions?

Integration can be used to determine the areas between two functions by calculating the definite integral of the difference between the two functions over a given interval. This yields the total area of the enclosed region.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the areas between two functions?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the areas between two functions. These limitations include the complexity of the functions, the accuracy of the chosen method, and the need for proper understanding and application of mathematical principles.