How to Design a Car Powered by a Suspended Mass for a School Project?

In summary, a student in grade 11 is seeking help with an assignment to design a car that will move forward from a suspended mass. They are unsure of what to do and their group members are not helping them. The student has provided some design details, including a small pulley attached to the bottom of the car and a suspended mass on top of the car. However, the car is not moving as expected when the mass is released. More information, such as the mass and radius, is needed to provide further assistance.
I-Need-Help!!
Hey please help me out here ...i m in grade 11 and i got this assignmnt ..where i have to design a car that will move forward from a suspended mass...i hav no idea wot to do ... itz due this frdaypleasez i really need help...none of my grou members are helping me out .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Caps don't help. Don't yell, be clear.

2) What is the mass, what is the radius, from what is it suspended? Is the suspension point outside the mechanism (theoretical problem) or inside the mechanism (need more data)

Friday is a long way away. Be clear about the problem, give it to us exactly, and we will try our best to steer you where to go to find the information you need to answer the probelm.

I can use any mass that is suitable for my car and the suspension point is outside the mechanism. I did made a car and its done but its not moving :( i used 500 grams mass.
My car design is like..i have the base of the car with four wheels and there is a small pulley atached at the bottom of the car with the steel rod that joins two back wheels together. On top of the base of the car there is a pole,, that's where the mass is suspended from. Then i attach the string to the pulley that is at the bottom of the car and that string is then tied with mass. SO as i release the mass, the pulley should spin and it should make the back wheels move..but the wheels are not moving
:'(

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11733&stc=1&d=1196117956

model of my car ...instead of using roll of string i added pully

Last edited:

Related to How to Design a Car Powered by a Suspended Mass for a School Project?

What is a Mass Motion Machine?

A Mass Motion Machine is a theoretical device that is capable of generating motion or energy through the manipulation of mass. It is often described as a perpetual motion machine, as it is believed to continuously create motion without the need for external energy sources.

Is it possible to build a working Mass Motion Machine?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that a Mass Motion Machine can be built. The concept has been widely debated and studied, but no successful working model has been created. The laws of thermodynamics suggest that the creation of perpetual motion is impossible.

What are the implications of a working Mass Motion Machine?

If a Mass Motion Machine were to be successfully built, it would have major implications for the laws of physics and our understanding of energy. It could potentially revolutionize the way we generate energy and have a significant impact on various industries.

What are the challenges in creating a Mass Motion Machine?

The main challenge in creating a Mass Motion Machine is overcoming the laws of thermodynamics. These laws state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. In order for a Mass Motion Machine to work, it would have to continuously create energy without any external input.

Why is there still interest in studying Mass Motion Machines?

Although the creation of a working Mass Motion Machine is currently considered impossible, the concept continues to be studied and debated by scientists and engineers. This is because the idea challenges our understanding of energy and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.