How to Demonstrate Hooke's Law with a Spring and Weights

In summary, Hooke's law states that the force produced by a spring is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.
ramat
hi, i am just having some problems with understanding the hook's law lab, if anyone has a "hook's law" can you please post it or you can email it to me. here is my address. dino_679@hotmail.com Thanks i will really appreciate it.
undefined

Physics news on Phys.org
ramat,

Hooke's Law just says the force produced by a spring is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. If you double the amount of stretch, for example, you double the amount of force it produces.

- Warren

Hook's law

I'm having problems looking for a good example on how to demonstrate hook's law, i'll be more than thankful if someone can help me with that

One way: hang the spring vertically, put a weight on it and measure the extension. Put twice the weight on it and measure the weight again.

Another way: put the spring horizontally, attach a scale to it (one of those that you hang a weight to) and pull. The scale will show the force and you can measure the extension.

Jose6a said:
I'm having problems looking for a good example on how to demonstrate hook's law, i'll be more than thankful if someone can help me with that

Hooke's law is part of what we commonly call "experimental phyics".Mathematical formulatios of the physical laws are proven by experimental methods only.In the case of the Hooke law,just take a spring and various masses and place them in the gravitational field by hanging one end of the string on a support and at the other end put the weights.Take a ruler and measure if the strings's length doubles as u put 2 different weights one 2 times heavier than the other.If it's so,u have just proven Robert Hooke's law.
Force (magnitude) measuring apparatus called "dynamometers" function according to Hooke's law.

Daniel.
PS.I hope u weren't asking about the generalized Hooke's law (which has nothing to do actually with Robert Hooke)...Those are messy tensors...

EDIT:U have more versions of basically the same thing.The important thing is that u got the right picture.

Related to How to Demonstrate Hooke's Law with a Spring and Weights

1. What is Hook's Law?

Hook's Law states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of extension or compression of the material, as long as the material is not stretched beyond its elastic limit.

2. How is Hook's Law used in a lab setting?

In a lab setting, Hook's Law can be used to determine the spring constant of a material by measuring the displacement of the material and the force applied to it. This can then be used to predict the behavior of the material under different amounts of force.

3. What materials are needed for a Hook's Law lab?

The materials needed for a Hook's Law lab may include a spring, weights, a ruler, a force meter, and a data collection tool (such as a graphing calculator or computer). It is also important to have a secure and stable surface to conduct the experiment on.

4. What are some common sources of error in a Hook's Law lab?

Some common sources of error in a Hook's Law lab include human error in taking measurements, using a spring that is not perfectly linear, and neglecting to account for the weight of the spring in the calculations.

5. How can Hook's Law be applied in real-world situations?

Hook's Law has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and material science. It is used to design and test the elasticity of materials, such as springs and rubber bands, and to predict the behavior of structures under different amounts of stress.