How to delete attachments in Gmail? (without deleting the original message)

• Thread starter Ara macao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delete
In summary, to delete an attachment in Gmail without deleting the original message, you can hover over the attachment, click on the "X" button, and confirm the removal. You cannot delete multiple attachments at once in Gmail, and deleting an attachment will not affect the original message for the recipient. To permanently delete attachments, you can download the attachment and then click on the "X" button. Deleted attachments cannot be recovered, but the recipient may still have a copy of it.
Ara macao
So yes, you may ask - why would I need to, since Gmail offers so much space? Well, my reason is that I often like to download everything from Gmail onto disk, and this is where I'd like to delete attachments.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Send the message to yourself without the attachment.

To delete attachments in Gmail without deleting the original message, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the email with the attachment that you want to delete.

2. Hover your cursor over the attachment and click on the three dots that appear on the right side.

3. From the drop-down menu, select "Remove".

4. A pop-up will appear asking if you want to remove just the attachment or the entire email. Select "Remove attachment" to delete just the attachment.

5. The attachment will now be removed from the email, but the original message will still remain.

Alternatively, you can also use the search function in Gmail to find emails with attachments and then delete the attachments from there. Simply type in "has:attachment" in the search bar and it will bring up all emails with attachments. From there, you can follow the same steps as mentioned above to delete the attachments.

I understand your reason for wanting to delete attachments in Gmail, as it can help free up space and make it easier to download everything onto disk. I hope these steps help you achieve your goal. Thank you for asking and happy organizing!

Related to How to delete attachments in Gmail? (without deleting the original message)

1. How do I delete attachments in Gmail without deleting the original message?

To delete an attachment in Gmail without deleting the original message, follow these steps:
1. Open the email with the attachment you want to delete.
2. Hover your mouse over the attachment and click on the small "X" that appears on the right side.
3. A pop-up window will appear asking if you want to remove the attachment. Click "Remove" to confirm.
4. The attachment will be deleted, but the original message will remain intact.

2. Can I delete multiple attachments at once in Gmail?

Unfortunately, there is no option to delete multiple attachments at once in Gmail. You will need to delete each attachment individually by following the steps mentioned in the answer to question 1.

3. Will deleting an attachment in Gmail affect the original message for the recipient?

No, deleting an attachment in Gmail will not affect the original message for the recipient. The attachment will only be removed from your copy of the email, and the recipient will still be able to see and access the attachment.

4. Is there a way to delete attachments in Gmail permanently?

Yes, you can permanently delete attachments in Gmail by following these steps:
1. Open the email with the attachment you want to delete.
2. Click on the downward arrow next to the attachment and select "Download."
3. Once the attachment is downloaded, click on the small "X" on the right side to delete it.
4. A pop-up window will appear asking if you want to remove the attachment. Click "Remove" to confirm.
5. The attachment will be permanently deleted from your Gmail account.

5. Can I recover a deleted attachment in Gmail?

If you have permanently deleted an attachment in Gmail, it cannot be recovered. However, if you have only removed the attachment from your copy of the email, the recipient may still have the attachment and can send it back to you if needed.