How to deal with this equation involving a plus/minus term

• Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation is about a textbook equation involving indices and the use of Einstein's summation convention. The author explains how to obtain the equation and suggests writing it as two equations and adding their right hand sides.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So I'm reading a textbook which has the following equation:

[itex]\dot{X}^{-}\pm X^{-\prime}=\dfrac{1}{4\alpha' p^{+}}\left( \dot{X}^{I}\pm X^{I\prime} \right)^{2}[/itex].

Please note that the [itex]+,-,I[/itex] are indices. Then the author says:

[itex] \dot{X}^{-}= \dfrac{1}{4\alpha' p^{+}}\left( \dot{X}^{I}\dot{X}_{I}+X^{I\prime}X_{I}^{'} \right) [/itex]

where the repeated up and down index is using Einstein's summation convention.

I have no idea how you can get this equation from the first one...can someone explain please?

Thanks...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What happens if you write the first as two equations?
One with +, the other with -. Expand their right hand sides. Then add...

Related to How to deal with this equation involving a plus/minus term

1. How do I solve an equation with a plus/minus term?

The best way to solve an equation with a plus/minus term is to isolate the term on one side of the equation and then square both sides. This will eliminate the plus/minus and allow you to solve for the variable.

2. Can I simply ignore the plus/minus and solve the equation as if it were two separate equations?

No, you cannot simply ignore the plus/minus term and solve the equation as two separate equations. This will not give you the correct solution and can lead to errors.

3. Do I need to use the quadratic formula to solve an equation with a plus/minus term?

In most cases, you will not need to use the quadratic formula to solve an equation with a plus/minus term. The method of isolating the term and squaring both sides is usually sufficient.

4. What if the plus/minus term is inside parentheses?

If the plus/minus term is inside parentheses, you can still use the method of isolating the term and squaring both sides. Just be sure to distribute the squared term to both terms inside the parentheses before solving.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with plus/minus terms?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to consider both the positive and negative solution when solving equations with plus/minus terms. Be sure to check both solutions to see if they satisfy the original equation.