How to Convert Rectangular Integrals to Polar Coordinates Correctly?

In summary, the answer to the question is that the integral over the hatch is supposed to be π/16, but the answer I got was different. The integral over the circular arc is also supposed to be π/16, but the answer I got was different again. I think the answer provided is wrong.
Corey Williams

Homework Statement

Trying to help a friend with a problem. We are supposed to solve the below using polar coordinates. The actual answer is supposed to be π/16. Solving the integral is not the issue, just converting it.
EKDTWGI.png

2. The attempt at a solution
What I got sort of worked, but it is only half of the answer given.
92fa8XY.png

The actual answer was this, but putting it into the calculator gives a completely different answer from what it's supposed to be.
fnl2peT.png
This is how I was reading the situation:
The hatch is the area that it seems we need to integrate over, and it also seems as though my answer shouldn't even be close given how it is a rectangular area.
swQt1ek.png
Is there something I'm not seeing, or is the provided answer wrong?

Attachments

• EKDTWGI.png
    EKDTWGI.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 745
  • 92fa8XY.png
    92fa8XY.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 765
  • fnl2peT.png
    fnl2peT.png
    2 KB · Views: 537
  • swQt1ek.png
    swQt1ek.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 760
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get those integration limits of ##[\sqrt 2,2]## for r? ##r## is the distance from the origin to:
  • the line ##y=1## for the lower limit and
  • the circle boundary for the upper limit
Looking at the diagram, we see that, at ##\theta=0## the integration is for ##r\in[1,2]## and for ##\theta=\pi/4## it is for ##r\in [\sqrt 2,\sqrt 2]##. Those limits match the limits in the solution formula, but not the ones in the integral above it.

From some of the examples I found you base r off of the origin to some point. From the origin to the top of the circle is a distance of √2. Having r ∈ [√2, 2cos(Θ)] Didn't work, but replacing it with its max at 2 made it a little bit closer to the answer.

Draw a line segment from the origin, at an angle of ##\theta## above the x axis, to the point where it hits the curve.
The lower limit for the inner integral is the distance along that segment from the origin (call it O) to the point where the segment hits the vertical line ##x=1## (call that point Q).
The upper limit for the inner integral is the distance from O to where the line segment hits the curve.
Use geometry to calculate those two lengths as formulas in terms of ##\theta##.

Corey Williams said:

Homework Statement

Trying to help a friend with a problem. We are supposed to solve the below using polar coordinates. The actual answer is supposed to be π/16. Solving the integral is not the issue, just converting it.
View attachment 215889

2. The attempt at a solution
What I got sort of worked, but it is only half of the answer given.
View attachment 215890

The actual answer was this, but putting it into the calculator gives a completely different answer from what it's supposed to be.
View attachment 215891This is how I was reading the situation:
The hatch is the area that it seems we need to integrate over, and it also seems as though my answer shouldn't even be close given how it is a rectangular area.
View attachment 215892Is there something I'm not seeing, or is the provided answer wrong?

Let the shaded shape in your diagram be ABCA, where AB and CA are horizontal and vertical line segments and BC is the circular arc. The origin is O.

One way to solve it using polar coordinates is to evaluate the integral over OBCO in polar coordinates, then subtract the integral over OACO.

Related to How to Convert Rectangular Integrals to Polar Coordinates Correctly?

1. What does "stuck on the integration bound" mean?

Stuck on the integration bound refers to reaching a limit or barrier in the process of integrating new information or ideas into an existing system or framework. It can also refer to being unable to progress in a task or project due to limitations in resources or knowledge.

2. How can one overcome being "stuck on the integration bound"?

To overcome being stuck on the integration bound, it is important to reassess and potentially revise the current approach to integrating new information. This may involve seeking outside help or resources, taking a break to gain new perspectives, or breaking down the task into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. Is being "stuck on the integration bound" a common issue in scientific research?

Yes, being stuck on the integration bound is a common issue in scientific research. As new information and technologies emerge, scientists must constantly integrate them into their existing knowledge and methods. This can be challenging and may require collaboration with other researchers or adapting to new techniques.

4. What are some potential consequences of being "stuck on the integration bound" in a scientific study?

Being stuck on the integration bound can lead to delays in research progress, inaccurate or incomplete data analysis, and missed opportunities for breakthroughs or advancements. It can also result in frustration and decreased motivation for the researchers involved.

5. How can scientists prevent getting "stuck on the integration bound" in their work?

To prevent getting stuck on the integration bound, scientists can actively seek out new information and ideas, continuously update their knowledge and skills, and maintain open communication and collaboration with other researchers. It is also important to regularly reflect on and evaluate the integration process to identify any potential roadblocks early on.